What year is this Martin Soprano?

sbpark

Reaction score
I picked this Martin Uke up in a trade. Have no idea the year or it's value. I've attached quite a few pics of it and one side by side with my 1930's-40's Favilla. Any info. about it would be great! And as a disclaimer, no I did not string it this way! These are the strings that came on it and I will be changing them after I post this!

Last edited:
I would guess 40's/50's. I have a Martin which is virtually the same. Mine is a great player.

By the way, has the sound hole on your Favilla been enlarged? Looks big and a brace can be seen in the picture.

I would guess 40's/50's. I have a Martin which is virtually the same. Mine is a great player.

By the way, has the sound hole on your Favilla been enlarged? Looks big and a brace can be seen in the picture.

Thanks for the info. I didn't expect it to be that old! I just strung it up with Worth Clears, which are the same strings I have on the Favilla. It sounds nice, but the Favilla has stupid low action and still doesn't fret oout and in some way seems easier to play than the Martin. With that said though, and although both are sopranos, the Martin is a little bigger; slightly wider fretboard. The action seems a bit high on the Martin, but that could also be the fact that I am comparing it to the Favilla. I have no idea what is considered 'normal' action on these ukes.

The sound hole in the Favilla was not enlarged. I was told by a member of the Favilla family that it's missing a thin piece of plastic that lines the sound hole. I asked if it was worth replacing/repairing and he told me in his opinion no, as it does nothing for the sound and would leave it as is, although yes, it does look enlarged, especially next to the Martin.

The Favilla is a nice, clear bright sounding uke, while the Martin is a bit fuller, darker and mellower, and both ukes have the same type of strings on them.

Last edited:
My guess would be the same, 40s or 50s, most likely 50s. It's definitely post 1934 and pre 1962.

The sound hole in the Favilla was not enlarged. I was told by a member of the Favilla family that it's missing a thin piece of plastic that lines the sound hole. I asked if it was worth replacing/repairing and he told me in his opinion no, as it does nothing for the sound and would leave it as is, although yes, it does look enlarged, especially next to the Martin.

Do you have a picture of one with the plastic ring around the sound hole? I've never seen one. I am a huge Favilla guy and play my Favilla's more than my Martin!

Do you have a picture of one with the plastic ring around the sound hole? I've never seen one. I am a huge Favilla guy and play my Favilla's more than my Martin!

I don't have a picture but there still is a little piece of the insert on part of the sound hole. I emailed pictures and a lot of pics of the ukulele to te grandson of one of the original family members who built them back in the day. Was told that this one is from the late 30's or early 40's and is the higher end model since the fretboard markers are inlays an not painted on like most of the others. In all honesty the Favila plays better but the Martin sounds fuller.

I am friendly with Tom Favilla. He has given me info. on my Marca Aquilla and my Favilla Teardrop ukuleles. I'd love to see a picture of one with the ring in place. My Favilla ukuleles sound every bit as good, or better than the Martins I have or have played!

I am friendly with Tom Favilla. He has given me info. on my Marca Aquilla and my Favilla Teardrop ukuleles. I'd love to see a picture of one with the ring in place. My Favilla ukuleles sound every bit as good, or better than the Martins I have or have played!

Thomas Favilla was the one I wrote to and got a reply from about the uke. I actually posted his reply in a thread here a little while ago. Super nice guy. I may actually end up selling the Favilla now that I have the Martin. Tough call though because the Favilla plays like butter!

Top Bottom