New guy wondering what this instrument actually is

markg

Reaction score
I am a bit embarrassed to have just joined this forum to ask this question, as everyone on here seems to be so knowledgeable about these instruments and I know JACK. i sold some things at a flea market yesterday, here on Whidbey Island and one of the things that did NOT sell (for $5) was this old ukelele that I have had for a long time, just banging around my old house. I played one about 35 years ago and thought that I might play it again, but never have. SOOOO, I am wondering if someone can tell me what it is I have. I am glad I looked it up after the sale, cause I have seen some that LOOK like mine and they have some real value. I can see where there was once a label glued inside this instrument, but where it went I do not know. That probably would have told me what I need to know, but this is better and I can see, will be a fun place. Maybe I will just keep it and try to learn to play again, or sell it and buy a less fancy one to start. Thanks in advance for any reply. MG
I will try to post a couple of photos, if I can figure this site out.
PS: Back of uke is same color as front. Photo looks wrong

Attachments

• DSC_5735.jpg
    DSC_5735.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_5737.jpg
    DSC_5737.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_5740.jpg
    DSC_5740.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_5734.jpg
    DSC_5734.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 78
Are you pulling our legs ;)?

That's a Kamaka soprano, unless it's an elaborate counterfeit, which I seriously doubt. Probably would've had a gold label inside?

Anyway...several hundred dollars minimum. Looks like it's in really nice condition.

When did you list it? I've been scouring FMM and the marketplace here for days and haven't seen anything selling for $5 lol

Is it April 1st again, already?

Darn, why do I never find those kinds of deals at garage sales?!

John

First post? Hard to believe story? I'm a skeptic, I guess....;)

Assuming this isn't a joke, yes, it's a much sought after and valuable instrument. First thing I would do is take it to a luthier and have them look it over for any problems such as cracking, and have it repaired if necessary.

No i am not kidding.........

I just joined this site ten minutes ago, so I did not post it here to sell. I said that I tried to sell it at a flea market on Whidbey Island Washington yesterday, so no, I am NOT kidding. If I had any idea that this was anything more than just some old ukelele, I would have been a lot more careful with it. My three year old granddaughter likes banging on it. I guess that is the end of that. Thanks for setting me straight on what it is. How can you tell with no label? And to the good person who said it looks in good shape; it has a number of small scratches on it, which you can't see in the pics.

Oh gosh, you mean a regular flea market. I thought you meant the Flea Market Marketplace lol. We can tell from the logo on the headstock that it's a Kamaka and then looking at the size and fretboard scale length that it's a soprano.

You've got a keeper there. It doesn't get much better then a Kamaka. Lucky for you it didn't sell. Now get you a songbook and play it!

Wow, lucky for you that nobody bought your uke! Keep it and learn to play :) , it would have been a real shame if you'd sold it for $5.

:stop: Don't undersell it Mark...I'll give you $10 for it. Maybe even $20.

Welcome to the forum mate!!!

:cheers:

Congratulations on finding that you have a beaut of a uke there! Stick around here and learn to play it. You won't regret it! And get one for your granddaughter to keep banging away on. You two can learn together.

Goodonya! I love it when that happens.

Too bad it never happens to me. Do some more research before you decide what to do with it. If you think you might like to play you've got one heck of a starter uke.

If not, and you want to sell it, have it looked over by a luthier who can tell you it's real condition for selling purposes.

Thanks for all the input....

I do greatly appreciate the input. I see that you people are passionate about these things. I am glad to find out that it is worth something, as it is. If all that is true, I cannot afford to keep the thing, so I will sell it somewhere and maybe buy a cheap one to play. If there is a good place to sell this, I would like to know that. Ebay is ok, but it kind of grates on me, for some reason. Perhaps I will hang out here from time to time and find out what this ukelele thing is all about. Thanks again, everyone..

Plenty of people here would be glad to take it off your hands, but I agree with ukemunga that you will need some help to determine a fair value.

Put it on the marketplace here for sale after you find out the value and avoid the eBay fees.

Put it on the marketplace here for sale after you find out the value and avoid the eBay fees.

This is probably your best bet.

Lucky you; as you will get significantly more than $5 for it. If that was listed on Oahu Craigslist, it'd probably go for $250 in a flash. Might have to wait a bit longer if you list it for more, but I imagine it selling for up to about $400 as the label is missing.

Just a ballpark figure, but these things, if not too damaged, start at around $350 and go up from there depending on age and condition.

Top Bottom