How many members on this board prefer playing a soprano, and why?

Brian W

Reaction score
I think they epitomize the classic Hawaiian sound, and I find the relaxed string tension works well for fast strumming and quick roles. I've played all sizes, and find tenors to be my least favorite, with concerts being a close second to sopranos ( I like the slightly warmer bass response) . I became a convert to the soprano after briefly owning a Martin SO. I had it a few days and noticed a bad buzz on the open E string, I took it back to Sam Ash and asked if they could fix it, and they told me yes, but I would have to pay their in-house guitar tech to fix it and set it up. I told salesperson that I shouldn't have to pay for that, and promptly got my money back (how is that for service on new instruments). Anyway, I found it quite comfortable to play and I actually could handle using the friction tuners quite well. The friction tuners made re-stringing much easier than geared tuners.

Last edited:
I prefer playing a soprano, and I also prefer friction tuners - well, actually I prefer Pegheds but that's a whole other story - and I will be curious to see how many (or few) others respond the same way. In the uke groups that I play in, I'm often the only soprano.

From a practical perspective, I prefer it because I have really little hands with really short fingers, and on a soprano I can span five or six frets easily - on my concert uke, I'm lucky if I can get a 4-fret range. But I'll admit there's a part of me that just likes all things "cute and little" and there's a certain appeal in playing the smallest uke (I seriously even considered a sopranino at one point) :)

I prefer playing a soprano, and I also prefer friction tuners - well, actually I prefer Pegheds but that's a whole other story - and I will be curious to see how many (or few) others respond the same way. In the uke groups that I play in, I'm often the only soprano.

From a practical perspective, I prefer it because I have really little hands with really short fingers, and on a soprano I can span five or six frets easily - on my concert uke, I'm lucky if I can get a 4-fret range. But I'll admit there's a part of me that just likes all things "cute and little" and there's a certain appeal in playing the smallest uke (I seriously even considered a sopranino at one point) :)

It's funny, but I actually have big hands and still find it comfortable to play; though I have trouble playing most chords beyond the 7 fret. I prefer playing in the open position anyway, and I really like their jangly tone and vibe. Also, the treble notes, cut through better than on a concert. I find the treble is better on a tenor, but I hate the higher string tension. And this from a guitar player.

Last edited:
Started on soprano:got a concert,then a tenor
then a baritone.Played them all.But stuck to
soprano.I too have big hands,and never find it
a problem to play!
Still own two concert scale and one tenor,but I
have three sopranos.

Sopranos are much easier to fret and they are cute. BTW, I have huge hands with long fingers.

While I do like and play other size ukes I have six sopranos that I tend to use most...

I love playing my sopranos for jazz standards. That "jangly" Martin sound as Peter Forest describes it is so old-timey and classic.

sorry to be contrary, but I prefer the tenor, then concert, then baritone, then soprano, in thet order. I like the room you get up the fretboard with the tenor scale,

I'm a tenor guy. In fact, I had a soprano for several years and basically never played it - it didn't click with me. Picked up a 6 string tenor and the rest is history. I now have a soprano travel uke, and I do like it for some reasons - certain things where I have to stretch my fretting hand are a bit easier to play - but my tenors are still my go to instruments.

Soprano is the original ukulele. To me it is the ideal ukulele sound (a Martin even more so). I have a couple concerts and a tenor just to say I have them and I took a gamble on a Lanikai baritone from Butler Music on ebay; $25 it might be perfect or it maight be junk, I rolled the dice. The other scales just don't do it for me. If I wanted to play a large instrument i'd just pick up a guitar.

I really prefer sopranos. They are better for fast chording and the lower tension makes it easier to do fancy stuff with the right hand. I tried to like tenors, I had a very nice Kanile'a K1, but it made my fingers sore.

EDIT: I'm also a big guy (6ft 4) with big hands. The size of the instrument doesn't make any difference in that regard.

Last edited:
Soprano and Concert for me. The scale length on a tenor is just a bit long for my fingers. The concert scale feels more natural. My soprano and concert are both Kamaka's, and I have to say the sound that comes out of the soprano is incredibly full. In fact, if you closed your eyes and heard them both side by side, you would think the Soprano is the concert. Both have Worth CM strings. That said, the Concert is louder and a little brighter, and can pierce through my Brother's guitar playing better. The Soprano gets drowned out.

I came here from guitars and mandolins. It's logical that tenors should feel better to me, but I also prefer the tone of a tenor. Just like I prefer the tone of an octave mandolin over the shorter scale standard mandolin.

But, it also counts that I have large hands and sopranos offer limited space between frets moving up the neck.

Soprano for me. I like the size, the tone, the look, and the feel. I also prefer and actually like friction tuners.
I started with a concert but would gladly trade it for another soprano.

Glad to see others feel the same as me. I know tenors are gaining popularity, but let's not forget the uke that started it all...the soprano.

Last edited:
Soprano is the original ukulele. To me it is the ideal ukulele sound (a Martin even more so). I have a couple concerts and a tenor just to say I have them and I took a gamble on a Lanikai baritone from Butler Music on ebay; $25 it might be perfect or it maight be junk, I rolled the dice. The other scales just don't do it for me. If I wanted to play a large instrument i'd just pick up a guitar.

I couldn't agree more with your statement. That's another reason why I don't like tenors; I am guitar player as well, and if I want an instrument that plays more like a guitar, then I will just play my guitar. If I want that quintessential uke sound, then I prefer the soprano. I do like concerts, however, but not as much as a quality soprano. I think some of the cheaper made sopranos just don't do that scale justice; my opinion radically changed after playing the Martin, I just wish it was properly setup. Now I am on a quest for a Hawaiian made instrument.

I play ukes of all scales, but if I could own only one ukulele it would be a soprano for most of the reasons already mentioned.

Me. I find larger instruments uncomfortable and slightly intimidating.

Top Bottom