Lanikai LPK-C pack or the Kamoa E - Concert

daydreamer

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been learning the ukulele on a friends instrument for several weeks and I'm ready to purchase my own uke. I'm trying to decide between the Kamoa E series concert or the Lanikai LKP-Concert pack (with bag and tuner - I don't need a tuner). Do any of you have any advice? I've been watching youtube videos but thats not the same as having experience with an instrument. I'm willing to spend around $200 and I enjoy singing. I have an alto voice so I like warm tones.

Thank you for any advice you have to offer!

I've heard that many Lanikais are hit and miss. Though, I'm not trying to insult Lanikai, I quite like their ukuleles and have received good ones so far, I'm just going off the amount of UUers who have complained about getting a bad lanikai.
Not much to say about Kamoa but on another thread, people have talked about not liking them.
A good, solid choice would be Kala though.

Personally, I have no idea on mainland ukuleles since I'm from Australia but many UUers like it, so if it's available in your country in a music store, you should try that.

Thank you!

Thank you for replying! It would be wonderful to have an opportunity to pick up a row of ukes and try them out. Unfortunately, that's not possible where I live. I appreciate your responses and will strongly consider your advice and take a look at your suggested ukuleles.

Thanks again!!

Also, if you like warm tones, you could buy a baritone ukulele instead (unless you have a guitar already). The good thing about baritone ukulele is that you can just slap on a capo on the 5th fret and it will be the standard C tuning for ukuleles!

But ultimately, I hope you find a good one!

Thank you for replying! It would be wonderful to have an opportunity to pick up a row of ukes and try them out. Unfortunately, that's not possible where I live. I appreciate your responses and will strongly consider your advice and take a look at your suggested ukuleles.

Thanks again!!

Where do you live ? The chances are that at least one UU member will live near you, and be able to suggest a source of Ukes.

South Carolina

I live in South Carolina. I went to a couple of music store near Columbia. They had Lanikai, the LU21C and the LPK-C. They also had a Mitchell. I went to another store that had Ohana's. They had a beautiful cedar top Ohana that was out of my price range. When I "go back to town" I plan on checking out another music store to see if they carry ukes. I played the LPK-C and LU21 and they were "ok". The LKP was pretty, but I'm looking for a quality uke (under 200.00) I can grow into. I played the Ohana and really liked it.

Hey Boa - Thanks for the Baritone advice. I do have a guitar and love it! I'm also considering a tenor since I like warm tones.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Here is a very nice concert with a case for $165 and here is a link to several pages of quality ukes in your price range that will come well set up.

I should add that I have owned and played several Lanikai and Ohana ukes and they were okay as long as they are set up properly (Uke Republic, Mim's Ukes, Hawaii Music Supply, Mainland. Some of these dealers do not carry the instruments/brands you are looking for). I also own a Kamoa 700T and it's a very nice instrument. I bought it used. The original owner purchased from Mim.

Last edited:
I've bought 3 Lanikais since 2006. All are nice for the price, two out of three needed some adjustment. One was set up perfectly, one simply had one bad string, the other needed the action adjusted. If you buy from a reputable dealer the problem ukes will be sorted out by the dealer, if you buy from Amazon you may get lucky, or else you will need a friend to help or else you will have to go spend money getting it fixed. Lanikais are getting better at having the action right from the factory, (since 2006 that is).

I would buy from Mim or MGM, they both ensure the setups are right when they leave their shop. There are other good dealers but I have personal experience with those two and they have a good reputation here on UU. I am sure other people will chime in with more choices.

Any cheap uke from MGM or Mim will be set up and I think you can trust it. For quality level:
Lanikai is cheap but rugged in my experience, but as I said they sometimes need adjusting.
I've never played a really cheap Kala, the more expensive Kalas get into the same quality level as Ohanas and Mainland. At $200 a Kala, Mainland or Ohana will be a very nice uke. Lanikai has ukes in this price range but I've never seen or played one.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

I've located a store not too far away that I am going to visit tomorrow that carries ukes. They have Kalas, Ohanas, Lanikais, and more! They said they would not only sale a uke to me, but also make sure it was set up and teach me how to string it. This forum has helped educate me on what to look for when looking at a ukes and what questions to ask.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'm looking forward to learning more from your post as my journey with the uke begins.

Thanks again!

I've located a store not too far away that I am going to visit tomorrow that carries ukes. They have Kalas, Ohanas, Lanikais, and more! They said they would not only sale a uke to me, but also make sure it was set up and teach me how to string it. This forum has helped educate me on what to look for when looking at a ukes and what questions to ask.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'm looking forward to learning more from your post as my journey with the uke begins.

Thanks again!

You are going to like it! Now save your money for a trip to next year's Ukulele World Congress.

I got a Kala Solid Acacia Concert! Love it!

Hey Folks!

I want to let you all know that I ended up with a Kala solid acacia concert and I'm loving it! I tried a few "beginner" ukes and they were okay, but this one feels really good in my hands. When I tried playing the dreaded E, B and D chords and they actually sounded like music, I knew this was the uke for me! It has a sweet sound that makes me want to play it. The icing on the cake is that I was able to get this little beauty for such a good price that I almost feel guilty.

Thank you all for your advice and maybe I will see you at the World Ukulele Congress!

Keep on uke'in!

That's great news! I have the same model, and agree - very sweet sound!

Have fun and hope to see you at UWC 2014......

Top Bottom