Has anyone tackled Daniel Ho's Polani tabs?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Stunning CD - wondered if the tabs were at all doable or reserved for advanced only players?

Ooooo...good question. I've had the same thoughts.

I have found the book and arrangements very challenging, though Ho makes them sound so elegantly simple on his CD. My problem is not knowing immediately how the chording shapes work, so I get into what feels too much like random sequences of picking. I have had the book for about six months now and have been concentrating on just a couple of songs. I am closing in on a smooth rendition of Pule Nahenahe (Soft Prayer).
I would say these are advanced arrangements, but very beautiful and worth the challenge.

I have the book and CD and really like working with them. I've been playing about a year, so none of what I'm doing is anywhere near performance-worthy, but little by little I'm getting better.

I'm working on Ahe Lau Makani and Ho'omaika'i (Grateful) and a little bit of Soft Prayer.

The nice thing about the pieces is that they sound pretty played at any speed, no matter how slow, and also that each bit between the double bar lines makes a nice tune all by itself, so you can break down the whole piece into workable bits and still feel like you're doing something.

Which pieces are for low G 4 string uke? Are there any tunes in high G 4 string?

There are no High G tunes in this book and the low tuning is very important. Actually, that's for low G but I'm playing the songs with my baritone ukulele (dgbe). It sounds pretty well, just lower than the CD :)

i've just ordered the book/cd based on the low G offering-and the sound of his playing-love it

(big Thanks to BlueLatitude for bringing Daniel to my attention)

d

The nice thing about the pieces is that they sound pretty played at any speed, no matter how slow, and also that each bit between the double bar lines makes a nice tune all by itself, so you can break down the whole piece into workable bits and still feel like you're doing something.

I have to agree with this :)

There are no High G tunes in this book and the low tuning is very important. Actually, that's for low G but I'm playing the songs with my baritone ukulele (dgbe). It sounds pretty well, just lower than the CD :)

Yep, I don't think the book says it's low g though. I emailed Daniel and that's when he let me know all the songs are Low G.

Agree totally with the poster immediately above. I enjoy the book and the CD!

Top Bottom