Anyone Else Strum With Their Thumb?

kyote

Reaction score
All the videos I've seen on strumming the ukulele tell you to strum with your index finger. Personally, it feel much more natural doing it with my thumb. Anyone else do this, or is it a bad habit I should unlearn?

Me! I can't seem to strum with my index finger, my nail kept getting caught in the strings, spoiling the entire song I'm playing.

Not sure if it's a 'wrong' way of strumming though...

I strum with my thumb sometimes and with my index finger other times. Both work great. As long as your strumming feels natural and comfortable, you're developing a good habit.

I love bright sounds, so I usually strum with nails--downwards with my index finger and upwards with my thumb. This felt unnatural in the beginning but after some practice this way of strumming has become instinctive. I strum downwards with my thumb only when I want a very mellow tone for slow sentimental songs.

I love bright sounds, so I usually strum with nails--downwards with my index finger and upwards with my thumb. This felt unnatural in the beginning but after some practice this way of strumming has become instinctive. I strum downwards with my thumb only when I want a very mellow tone for slow sentimental songs.

This is pretty much how I've always done it. Not sure I could strum any other way. :p

I used to when I first started playing...then somebody told me it was wrong to do that. Started using my index finger. Now it feels really weird using my thumb.

I think there is a place for thumb strumming as long as you are comfortable with it, there is no right or wrong way to play a song, the main thing here is for you to enjoy playing your uke, you can always learn to strum using your pointer finger later should you wish, although as you progress you will want to improve you're strumming techniques in order to play the rhythms of a lot of songs, playing with you're thumb can be restrictive when you try this

Jake Shimabakura uses his thumb a great deal, as do many (most?) great Hawaiian players. When I started, I had experienced players tell me not to use my thumb that used their thumb a lot.

I have only been playing for about two months with very little musical experience, at first only my thumb worked for strumming then all of a sudden I realized I sometimes used my pointer finger and now I mostly use my pointer finger. I think your ukulele will help you as you progress. A lot of things just seem to happen or change with out much thought!

I think that its fine to use your thumb for strumming. The more ways you can strum, the more versatile you will be in the long run. Thumb strumming will often give you a softer, more mellow tone than strumming with your other fingers, and usually less volume. You might find it to not be loud enough if you are playing in a group with other people. I would encourage you to keep experimenting with other fingers for strumming, the more options the better!

Using your index finger will give you brighter tone and often much more volume and will probably facilitate more strumming speed when needed. Keeping your finger really relaxed and letting your wrist do most of the work will keep it from getting "hung up" in the strings.

The most important thing is that what you are doing is fun and works for you! As long as you don't feel like its holding you back from being able to play what you want to play, then stick with it. Just remember that "variety is the spice of life"!

Like to add my confirmation to all the excellent responses. Strum with your thumb by all means. Somewhere ahead you may want to try different techniques. You will know what is good for you. It is what we like about ukes.

I strum with my nose.

Uh, I mean my thumb. Sometimes my fingers. Wherever the longest fingernails are.

I think that its fine to use your thumb for strumming. The more ways you can strum, the more versatile you will be in the long run. Thumb strumming will often give you a softer, more mellow tone than strumming with your other fingers, and usually less volume. You might find it to not be loud enough if you are playing in a group with other people. I would encourage you to keep experimenting with other fingers for strumming, the more options the better!

Using your index finger will give you brighter tone and often much more volume and will probably facilitate more strumming speed when needed. Keeping your finger really relaxed and letting your wrist do most of the work will keep it from getting "hung up" in the strings.

The most important thing is that what you are doing is fun and works for you! As long as you don't feel like its holding you back from being able to play what you want to play, then stick with it. Just remember that "variety is the spice of life"!

I strum with my thumb. I'm trying to switch to my index finger for the reasons stated above, but it seems my thumb naturally starts again until I realize it and try to go back to my index finger. No doubt in my mind that this is definitely a habit. I've watched Aldrine and others using their index fingers and they can develop strumming so fast that their hand is just a blur. Every time I see that, it reminds me to break the thumb habit, but then I just slip back.... sigh....

I strum in that way. I always have. It just felt right, strumming up with my index finger just didn't feel comfortable. I sometimes strum down with my thumb if I want a slow, gentle strum.

Depends on the song. If it's happy and upbeat then I use the index finger to get the sound to jump more to match. For something more toned down I may use my thumb instead. "Ain't she sweet": index finger, "Fly me to the Moon": thumb.

I use my thumb for 'Little Brown Gal', and one or two others, but mix it up between finger pads and thumb pad for everything else.
R

I use both just depends on the song or the style, but that's the great thing about the Uke its about doing what you like. If everyone played the same it would be called a guitar (hahaha). Im no expert, but i know that you have to find your own playing styles. Everybody is different what works for me might not work for you.

Thanks guys. I have noticed it is bit quieter when strumming with my thumb. I'll diversify, and try implementing my index finger more.

It's funny a couple weeks ago I was having such a hard time doing the down down up up down up strum from Somewhere Over The Rainbow. And I haven't really been practicing the strum much, but last night I tired it, and out of the blue, it was quite surprising how I was able to keep track of what my hand was doing. I'm not saying I was prefect, but It really gives me confidence that if I just keep playing I'll adventully figure these things out.

Top Bottom