Martin T1 tenor - opinions?

ichadwick

Reaction score
Haven't seen a lot of talk here about the made-in Mexico Martin ukes. I was in 12fth Fret last month and found the T1 for a reasonable price. Sounded okay, although it needed punchier strings like Aquila.

It's a pretty plain-looking uke, compared to their higher-cost models. But I'm not into bling.

Anyone have any comments on it? I was considering getting one.

I played one a while back . I thought it was a good value. its not a K_1 , but it.s half the price.I considered getting one myself, but I got used K-1 for a little more,

I had one for a short while and it was a really nice ukulele. There really wasn't anything that I didn't like about it. I ended up selling it because I found a deal on a vintage Martin that I couldn't pass up and this helped finance it.

If you were coming to UWC you could play the one I got in for review.
The strings on mine are too punchy I think.

The local shop here sells them and I've played more than half a dozen and they have all been very nice ukes. They don't stay very long at the shop. The concerts are nice too. May have to pick up a concert some day. Have to save some money first.

Haven't seen a lot of talk here about the made-in Mexico Martin ukes. I was in 12fth Fret last month and found the T1 for a reasonable price. Sounded okay, although it needed punchier strings like Aquila.

It's a pretty plain-looking uke, compared to their higher-cost models. But I'm not into bling.

Anyone have any comments on it? I was considering getting one.
I have one and its a little dull sounding not much but some. Tried aqilla worthwhile aqilla reds now h ge living waters on now and is better but not punchy but a good strong smoky bluesy sound. Phil

I have a C1K and love it...sounds great, has kind of a mellow tone, think that's a solid koa trait. The only bad thing is the finish seems to be a little thin, almost like bare wood and after only a couple hours of playing the perspiration from my arm raised the grain on the wood. Having a Martin Service Center look at it next week.

My C1K is my go to uke. I take it to my lessons. The sound is mellow like everyone is saying but I like that sound. The headstock Martin is beautiful. I always get compliments.

I have a C1K and love it...sounds great, has kind of a mellow tone, think that's a solid koa trait. The only bad thing is the finish seems to be a little thin, almost like bare wood and after only a couple hours of playing the perspiration from my arm raised the grain on the wood. Having a Martin Service Center look at it next week.
Martin guitars use a micronitrate lacquer and I wonder if they're using the same material on their ukes.

As for the tone - a Tusq saddle might perk it up a bit, too...

Martin guitars use a micronitrate lacquer and I wonder if they're using the same material on their ukes.

As for the tone - a Tusq saddle might perk it up a bit, too...

no lacquer here...it's a "hand-rubbed oil" finish and very thin!

i just played some yesterday, its a great sounding uke. i was playing the martin and collings back to back, and noticed i like the martin better, hopefully my next purchase.

update...Martin has authorized refinishing the top under warranty, hope it lasts better than the original finish. the Service guy said they would be using a satin urethane. Was also thinking of having the tusq saddle replaced with bone. I love the sound of the uke, could be brightened up a bit with bone, maybe?

The shape of the neck on the tenor and the baritone seem too thin for comfort for me. It is a noticeable difference, and if someone wants that shape of a neck, they really are the way to go.

Top Bottom