Have to start somewhere

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a concert scale neck I want to build a body for. Would like to try to build one verses attaching a made cigar box. Never did anything like this before and have VERY limited skills. The first question I have is where to find wood thin enough for the soundboard? This first go at it is just for experience and fun. I will have (as you can tell) a million more questions but I thought I'd start with just one. Thanks!

I've been getting my wood sets from Eic at New Wave Ukuleles. He is a great guy and he has some awesome lumber. He might be a good start.

You have a couple of choices.

check a local hobby shop.
If you have a Klingspor Woodworking store they carry both thin wood and thin plywood. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=44&f1=THIN+STOCK
Get a couple of Cedar shingles and a handplane and plane it to the proper thickness.
Check out a local community college or Woodworking shop. they may have the gear to power sand a piece of wood to the proper thickness
Check the luthier suppliers like LMI, Hana Lima or Stewart MacDonald to buy wood that will almost be the right thickness.
Ebay sells wood and parts.
I've bought some wood off of ETSY that were reworked drops from a woodworking business. He couldn't stand to throw them out.

Read around this forum there a lots of beginner threads that will get you up to speed.

Isn't there a "Ukulele University" out around Wrightsville Beach? Maybe they can help.

Last edited:
check out Notable woods, best prices on all quality woods. his sell ukulele sets in all sizes and already pre sanded thin

Top Bottom