PDA

View Full Version : voilele/ukoline hybrid



lexi
05-28-2013, 08:23 AM
So, after being inspired from a fellow youtuber, UKISOCIETY, i went about dismantling my violin, like you do, and a ukulele, and fused them together, very roughly and without much knowledge of what i was doing, and have created my violele, ukoline hybrid thingy.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcgX_KkIAbQ

It is work in progress, about 60% done id say, i have a fretboard coming but i need to work on that neck to make the surface really smooth, as well as getting rid of the yellow paintwork. The bridge obviously needs work, i am yet to decide how to do this but i have a few options in mind, some of them not very converntional (like my "bridge with 2 long feet" idea), that one will be played by ear, literally.

I did get the strings in tune, they came from the Makala MK-c which is in the video to give an idea of scale and perspective, sort of, anyway, i just hope the neck holds out but so far so good, i didnt even think i would get this far but i still have some way to go on it yet, so will repost again once i get further along the line with it.

gitarzan
05-28-2013, 08:44 AM
It sounds cool. I can really hear the violins body/string interaction.

Maybe you got something there.

lexi
05-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Oh that wasn't the violele you heard at the beginning, thats just my intro music played on the makala mk-c, but the strings on the violele in the video are tuned up, but not worth trying toplay without a fretboard, i just wanted to see how high the strings needed to be for the bridge, and whether the body would be able to hold onto the uke neck under pressure, and it is holding up much to my surprise, no nails or dows anywhere, all glue and good luck lol.

fumanshu
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
It looks cool.....but I'm wondering how steady is the kind of bridge that you made there..... Post the sound sample when it will be completed!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

lexi
05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
That bridge and saddle wont be used at all, niether will the tin vasaline cap, i have a violin bridge that i need to adapt, shave some excess from the top, and then maybe glue it into position once i have determined where it needs to be, though i am toying with the idea of changing the saddles feet to point along the body, about an inch long apiece, once the fretboard is on those strings will need to be a bit higher anyway, but i may shave some from the front of the neck too, specially towards the body end, the neck is angled on this, as opposed to the straightness of a conventional uke, its far from a perfect build but its my first time doing something like this, id do it much differently if i had the chance again, but im still quite pleased with it, and should sound not too bad (fingers crossed).

Jon Moody
05-29-2013, 01:37 AM
That bridge and saddle wont be used at all, niether will the tin vasaline cap, i have a violin bridge that i need to adapt, shave some excess from the top, and then maybe glue it into position once i have determined where it needs to be

Using a violin bridge is a great idea, but PLEASE DO NOT GLUE IT IN PLACE!!!! Let the tension of the strings hold it, which will be a better contact to your body and soundpost (I'm assuming you kept that in the violin). Plus, with it not affixed permanently, you will be able to adjust intonation easier by moving it forwards or backwards a little bit as needed.

lexi
05-29-2013, 04:16 AM
Using a violin bridge is a great idea, but PLEASE DO NOT GLUE IT IN PLACE!!!! Let the tension of the strings hold it, which will be a better contact to your body and soundpost (I'm assuming you kept that in the violin). Plus, with it not affixed permanently, you will be able to adjust intonation easier by moving it forwards or backwards a little bit as needed.

Aye good point about gluing the bridge, my adapted bridge wont need any, i guess i was still thinking about conventional uke bridges then lol actually i am tempted to take it apart and begin all over again but doing it properly and in the right order, the neck is too angled for my liking, though it resembles the shapes and angles on a violin, im not sure i want strings that look like they belong on a suspension bridge over some river, so i may rip apart another violin and carefully adapt the uke neck to sit comfortably on top, with a bit more stability too, because i am not even sure the thing will really hold up how it is now.

(some time later)

And the violele mk-I is no more, for now at least, i just tightened the strings til it bent over on purpose, safely lol right then, violele mk-II will commence once it stops raining and i can go outside with the wood knife (apparently the correct term is Saw :rolleyes:) and hopefully create something a bit more refined and less random!

By the way, if anyone has any tips, please tell before i start ripping things apart again lol