? about clear Worth strings for Tenors(there are many versions of these)

darylcrisp

Reaction score
One of my Tenors came with clear Worth CT strings. I like them-compared to the Brown BT that i have tried.

I purchase thru "stringsbymail.com" as nobody near me carries Uke strings.

I was going to order more strings today to try-the following in high G are offered:

CD(Hard) 0205/0260/0291/0244
CE(extra) 0205/0260/0291/0244

CT(tenor) 0244/0260/0291/0244

CF( Fat) 0244/0291/0319/0260
CH(heavy) 0244/0291/0319/0260

as i mentioned, i currently have the CT on my Tenor. i play with fingertips-no nail. i tend to like a brisk sounding clear note-but smooth at the same time. i also do not care for a rubbery feel string-i like a more taut string.

with the above clear sets, i notice the string gauges are similar in some sets, but the description is different(hard vs extra/ Fat vs Heavy)
so who has used these and opinions please. and if you have used the CT(tenor) set, and remember those-compare your thoughts to those.

thank you
d

I've tried both CT and CF. I didn't like the CFs.... but really like the CTs', which I presently have on my Loprinzi Tenor. The fats made my ukulele sound thick and dull.

tc

CD and CE aren't typically used for tenor. The CH are like your CT but a little thicker, good for some ukes built to handle and with a proper setup. The CF are basically the same as CH but the high A is 2 thousandths of an inch fatter.

i looked on the Worth site for some explanations regarding the different gauge sets and didn't find anything of use. anyone out there know of a web site that explains the different worth sets?

i assume the thicker gauge strings create more tension when tuned the same as a smaller gauge set-but i also wondered if there were different chemical makeups of each set-such that a thicker set does not create more tension-just a different(i assume deeper) sound.

???? anyone else with hands on experience with any of the sets i listed.

thanks
d

CD and CE aren't typically used for tenor. The CH are like your CT but a little thicker, good for some ukes built to handle and with a proper setup. The CF are basically the same as CH but the high A is 2 thousandths of an inch fatter.

what are the CD and CE typically used on?

Regarding the use of the CH on a tenor-and the comment of a proper setup-i assume you mean nut slot width/depth adjustment for the thicker gauge string?

thanks
d

CD and CE are made for soprano & concert. The D set, like the HD in the the tenors, is a higher density string. It's quite a bit different. The same gauge has a much higher tension. I have found these and the HD can be dangerous on lighter builds and greatly effect intonation, for good or bad, often times bad. Sometimes good especially with the soprano. But the D or HD for the low G I like. The E's are not high density and just have a touch thicker high G. I never listed those online because I am not sure what exactly their purpose is, I keep meaning to ask them. If I get a good answer I'll post it.

i looked on the Worth site for some explanations regarding the different gauge sets and didn't find anything of use. anyone out there know of a web site that explains the different worth sets?

i assume the thicker gauge strings create more tension when tuned the same as a smaller gauge set-but i also wondered if there were different chemical makeups of each set-such that a thicker set does not create more tension-just a different(i assume deeper) sound.

???? anyone else with hands on experience with any of the sets i listed.

thanks
d

Sorry, it dawned on me that I didn't really answer some of your question.. There is gauge and there is density. Most worth strings are the same density, all except the D (for soprano/concert) and HD (for tenor), those are higher density which are a different "makeup". The others are the same, but in different thicknesses. That can create a deeper sound, or not. Get some CH or CF and let us know what you think. And others can comment on their experience.
Regarding the use of the CH on a tenor-and the comment of a proper setup-i assume you mean nut slot width/depth adjustment for the thicker gauge string?
I was more referring to the fact that different builds are optimal with different gauging. If you put thicker fluorocarbon of the same density it will naturally get a higher tension. Can it handle that tension long term? Does it sound best with that tension?
As far as the setup. When you put a thicker string it will make a higher tension and require a lower action to be comfortable while playing. Lower action will require a better neck set and curvature and precision fretwork.
Theres a lot at play. The compensation given and the strings that work best with that along with the amount of tension that best "activates" your instrument, while still being stable for many years.
Okay....gotta get back to making our new website!

Living water strings

One of my Tenors came with clear Worth CT strings. I like them-compared to the Brown BT that i have tried.

I purchase thru "stringsbymail.com" as nobody near me carries Uke strings.

I was going to order more strings today to try-the following in high G are offered:

CD(Hard) 0205/0260/0291/0244
CE(extra) 0205/0260/0291/0244

CT(tenor) 0244/0260/0291/0244

CF( Fat) 0244/0291/0319/0260
CH(heavy) 0244/0291/0319/0260

as i mentioned, i currently have the CT on my Tenor. i play with fingertips-no nail. i tend to like a brisk sounding clear note-but smooth at the same time. i also do not care for a rubbery feel string-i like a more taut string.

with the above clear sets, i notice the string gauges are similar in some sets, but the description is different(hard vs extra/ Fat vs Heavy)
so who has used these and opinions please. and if you have used the CT(tenor) set, and remember those-compare your thoughts to those.

thank you
d

Just to throw another string into the mix. I recently put some new living water strings on one of my ukes and they sound like worth clears only better. They have the same diameter as worths but feel. A lot different. They are available from Ken Middelton in UK

Top Bottom