Need some quick advice on a vintage soprano

insula

Reaction score
I have my eye on 2 vintage mahogany sopranos on the "bay right now (first auction ends in 2 hours, so time's a wastin'). One's a Favilla, shows wear but no cracks-however it would need new tuners. The other auction is for a 50's Gretsch, one of the mass-produced Harmony-types from Chicago, but it's in near-mint condition (per the pictures).

I've heard Favilla baritones (one of my uke associates plays one, and it's choice) and know they're well-respected. Can any UUers help me decide? This would be my first "good" soprano (my only one is a $50 laminate Makai for the beach).

Wish me luck! Mahalo!

I have my eye on 2 vintage mahogany sopranos on the "bay right now (first auction ends in 2 hours, so time's a wastin'). One's a Favilla, shows wear but no cracks-however it would need new tuners. The other auction is for a 50's Gretsch, one of the mass-produced Harmony-types from Chicago, but it's in near-mint condition (per the pictures).

I've heard Favilla baritones (one of my uke associates plays one, and it's choice) and know they're well-respected. Can any UUers help me decide? This would be my first "good" soprano (my only one is a $50 laminate Makai for the beach).

Wish me luck! Mahalo!

Probably too late at this point, but I hope you got that Favilla. I wouldn't trade mine for anything and putting in new tuners shouldn't be too arduous of a task.

The Favilla long before the Gretsch. However, if you can be patient and save a bit more you could have a vintage Martin.

The Favilla for sure

Go for the Favilla.
In my experience Gretschs from the 50´s (gold logo on headstock) have intonation issues and are poorly made

Top Bottom