PDA

View Full Version : We need an epic thread...

UkEdman90
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
so every other forum has an epic thread with useless information that spans into the thousands of posts! well here is ours UU! every person registered to UU should post what they like and dislike about their very own UKES! YUP! Likes and dislikes! throw in pics, possible "wants", etc.! comment about other peoples dislikes, shoot even disagree! dont be afraid to let this discussion go off on another tangent! make this thread known! MAKE IT THE UU THREAD THAT WILL DEFINE US AS A COMMUNITY FOR UKE PLAYERS BY UKE PLAYERS!

my TEMPORARY Uke:

Applause Tenor. Its a loner, I hate it, I hate the company, totally sux! weird feel, dumb design, blah sound but i do like that it has a pickup that is ok quality!

SinisterDom
12-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Ohana SK-10- I love that it's blue, soprano, and my first uke.
I hate it's intonation.

Oscar Schmidt OU3 Concert- I love it's action, and nice tuners. I hate it's sharp frets.

Eleuke- I love it's body, and no feedback,
I hate that I never play it.

Dave Gjessing Waverly Street Soprano- I love that it's solid wood, and it's pretty maple body. I hate that I have to worry about it's humidity.

Pippin
12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
There is a lot of ukulele snobbery. Some people love Oscar Schmidt ukes that they own (for example) and other people are critical of that. Some people love their Lanikai and others are down on them because they are laminated (most of them anyway). Some people hate Ovation/Applause because the body is lyrachord. Well, it all depends on what the buyer or player wants in a ukulele. Some people love the value of Ohana solid-wood instruments. Some love Kala's archtop and others hate it. Some people hate a pineapple uke, period.

If you play it and like it, if it feels good to you, buy it. You can pick apart every ukulele out there and be hyper-critical of even the best luthier-built ukes, so, don't worry about it. Play the instruments you have and just have fun with them.

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Kala KA-SC it's a concert with a solid spruce top.

i think it's the bees knee's, the cat's meow, and whatever out of date term that is synonymous with "friggen awesome." out of the few ukulele's i've played, it's still my favorite. it's pretty bright/loud compared to others ive played. it's got aquila strings on it. the strings stay in tune. intonation is rad. i've gone through every fret with a tuner and a guide on what notes are where on the fretboard and it's hit the right notes on all. and it's got that high gloss finish so it's extra sexy.

the only thing i didn't like about it is that i found a little bubble underneath the "kala" decal on the headstock. but it's not important and i hardly notice it. now i just notice the dings i've put in it.

next up, sooner or later (probably in mid january), i'll be getting a Kala Tenor Jazz Ukulele with the sunburst and active pickup. i need to have one after seeing benmealer get one =D

Moller
12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
The "A" string on my Risa tenor sounds flat all over.. Only option is buying a new better uke i guess!

My Ken Timms soprano is so perfect i've stopped looking for other sopranos.. aren't UAS the fun part of playing the ukulele?

My Risa solid soprano is butt-ugly and makes people laugh at me when i play it..

Great idea UkEdman90 - i also hate your applause tenor for all the reasons you do, i had one too.

HoldinCoffee
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I bought a factory rejected uke because I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on an instrument that I'm not good at. But its solid wood and it has all the specs I wanted in an instrument. Its beautiful if your standing far away or are in the dark. Up close, its got glue spots, ridges in places that are supposed to be smooth, white spots in places that are supposed to be black, and I think its gonna crack soon. I feel for it the way Charlie Brown felt about his sickly runt of a Christmas tree. So I bought it some new strings and I play the Hell out of it every chance I get.

Hankthetank
12-30-2008, 04:44 AM
I love 99% of the things on my Bushman Jenny tenor. The 1% I dislike is that it has a cutaway. First, I am not advanced enough to utilize it and B) I am left handed so I can't use it even if I knew how. But the deal I got on it was too great to pass up -Cutaway or not.

Which begs the question, are there any Uke companies that make a left handed cutaway uke? Just curious. Plus I am also curious the percentage of left handed players vs. right handed players. I am a natural lefty and pretty much do everything lefty. I can imagine that it is easier for a left handed player to play righty but is there anyone out there who is naturally right handed but plays lefty. I know there are a lot of questions packed in here but this is the epic thread.
thanks

HaileISela
12-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Kala KA-SC it's a concert with a solid spruce top.

i think it's the bees knee's, the cat's meow, and whatever out of date term that is synonymous with "friggen awesome." out of the few ukulele's i've played, it's still my favorite. it's pretty bright/loud compared to others ive played. it's got aquila strings on it. the strings stay in tune. intonation is rad. i've gone through every fret with a tuner and a guide on what notes are where on the fretboard and it's hit the right notes on all. and it's got that high gloss finish so it's extra sexy.

the only thing i didn't like about it is that i found a little bubble underneath the "kala" decal on the headstock. but it's not important and i hardly notice it. now i just notice the dings i've put in it.

next up, sooner or later (probably in mid january), i'll be getting a Kala Tenor Jazz Ukulele with the sunburst and active pickup. i need to have one after seeing benmealer get one =D

that's funny, I have the same Uke (KA-SC with Aquilas) and feel the same way about it, plus: I want to get a Kala Tenor Jazz... weird^^ but I might get a Pono Mango Tenor instead (wouldn't be too bad^^)

btw, I'm right-handed

hellojodi
12-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I think those Applause ukes and guitars look like some sort of white trash wall decoration. There. I said it.

I'll post again later when I think of some really bitchy things to say about my own ukuleles.

UkEdman90
12-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I think those Applause ukes and guitars look like some sort of white trash wall decoration. There. I said it.

I totally agree! gosh i hate it! but meh oh well at least ive got something to play!

deach
12-30-2008, 09:35 AM

I'll post again later when I think of some really bitchy things to say about my own ukuleles.

I think I'm in love.

Aldrine Guerrero
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
No love for Applause ukes... :(

UkEdman90
12-30-2008, 11:29 AM

no sir! haha! come on aldrinde give us ur likes and dislikes about mika!

Aldrine Guerrero
12-30-2008, 11:32 AM
no sir! haha! come on aldrinde give us ur likes and dislikes about mika!

I like applause ukes. It just needs to be worked on. Did you lower the action and fool around with the settings?!

Hmm Mika...
Her bridge is slightly off now. It might be cause by me leaving it in my car. She plays sharp. She's not supposed to since I recently changed from high tension to normal tension. She should be playing flat if anything. I think she needs a trip back to the factory for a surgery hahaha

haole
12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I like the Applause/Ovation ukes and guitars, as long as they have a cutaway. The non-cutaway ones are ugly. Still, good sound plugged in. And their larger guitars are awesome acoustically.

Not a big fan of spruce tops on ukes. I've heard/played some that sounded great, but light-colored wood on a uke just doesn't look right to me. Yeah, it's irrational. :B

Love my pineapple Flea, but I have to get over the fear of embarrassment of playing it in public.

Love my Kamaka soprano. Didn't like the buzz at the 5th and 7th frets, so I took the Aquilas off and swapped them for the D'Addarios on my Flea. Now the Flea has the Aquila buzz. :(

On a side note, the epic threads that draw millions of views from people who don't even belong to the forum are usually from trolls. I'm sure a lot of people here have seen "Got my girlfriend to model for my car." ;)

UkEdman90
12-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I like applause ukes. It just needs to be worked on. Did you lower the action and fool around with the settings?!

Hmm Mika...
Her bridge is slightly off now. It might be cause by me leaving it in my car. She plays sharp. She's not supposed to since I recently changed from high tension to normal tension. She should be playing flat if anything. I think she needs a trip back to the factory for a surgery hahaha

I actually cant! since its a loner they dont even want me changing the strings without their say so! totally sux!

thejumpingflea
12-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Not gonna lie. My Applause has been nothing but troublesome for me. Lack of volume, bad intonation, buzzing; it just flat out stinks. The Flea is such a better soprano. :D

Tanizaki
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
i play my uke for the lulz

haolejohn
12-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I play a Mele solid koa top solid mahghany back and sides with fishman pickup. I love everything about my uke except for the price I paid for it. I am hesitant to take it some places b/c I don't want to forget it in the car or something and run the risk of damaging it. I also have a Mele 6 string solid mahaghany tenor that I love but am trying to get rid of. UAS will solve my first problem since I am getting a laminate uke soon but I want to get a KoAloha and I am trying to decide about a Wai'olo as well instead of the KoAloha. Decisions decisions decisions. Maybe Obama will make it possible that we will all get what we want.

As far as cutaways go. I like the way that Mele makes their cutaways. Not as drastic as the other companys. I believe Kala makes a left handed cutaway.

SinisterDom
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
I like the Applause ukes...but only the tenors...the sopranos and (do they even make) concerts look weird to me.

Pippin
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Well, the Applause ukuleles are great for live performance when you want to be plugged into the PA system and not worry about feedback. Setups are not great, but, I took care of that. Mine did buzz when I got it. I fixed that, too. White trash? Maybe a tad harsh. I have owned six Ovation guitars over the years and they were all used in live performances.

Sure, all solid wood instruments are far superior in tone, and more delicate. I'd rather gig with a laminate in lots of places.

I can tell you this... I have six Ohana ukuleles that I am going to write-up in the Ukulele Player Magazine. They are all very nice instruments and sound great, especially the new Willow-wood uke (not even on their website, it's brand new and absolutely beautiful. Look for the review in January's issue).

There are lots of better sounding and much better looking ukes than the Applause sopranos, but, those ukes are used in gigs around the globe.

experimentjon
12-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Nothing good can come from the word "epic" on the internet.

Tanizaki
12-31-2008, 02:49 AM
Nothing good can come from the word "epic" on the internet.

It's ok. You can't purposely make an epic thread happen any mor ethan you can start a meme. An epic thread will appear on this forum when the gods of the intarweb deem fit.

hellojodi
12-31-2008, 05:16 AM
Iím not gonna defend my personal ukulele esthetic, Iím just saying what I like, not what other people should like. Iíve only ever heard a few people play ukuleles plugged in and, though the tone may be colored to the trained ukulele aficionado, to the listening public they all just sound like ukufreakingleles.

SamWise
12-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Mahalo (purple). I love that I have it. I love that it was cheap. I love that it's purple, and that makes the Ko'olau Gold strings look double awesome. I hate that the tone is a bit thin, and the intonation is still poor even after surgery!

Moana all maple soprano - I loved everything about it when I tested it - great punchy bright sound, blingy looks, good intonation. I hate that it hasn't arrived yet.....

SamWise
12-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Well, the Applause ukuleles are great for live performance when you want to be plugged into the PA system and not worry about feedback. Setups are not great, but, I took care of that. Mine did buzz when I got it. I fixed that, too. White trash? Maybe a tad harsh. I have owned six Ovation guitars over the years and they were all used in live performances.

Sure, all solid wood instruments are far superior in tone, and more delicate. I'd rather gig with a laminate in lots of places.

I can tell you this... I have six Ohana ukuleles that I am going to write-up in the Ukulele Player Magazine. They are all very nice instruments and sound great, especially the new Willow-wood uke (not even on their website, it's brand new and absolutely beautiful. Look for the review in January's issue).

There are lots of better sounding and much better looking ukes than the Applause sopranos, but, those ukes are used in gigs around the globe.

I hate everything about the look of the multi-soundhole Ovations (and their ukulele cousins), and I hated playing them when they were in vogue. The thing was, at that point, they were the ONLY acoustic instruments that sounded reliably decent plugged in - you simply couldn't do without one if you were a gigging musician, unless you had a dedicated sound team. These days, there's no need for them, but if people like them, well, good luck to them! They still do a good job of what they always did well, and the aesthetic was to a lot of peoples tastes, and probably still is. I find those lyrachord bowls slither around on my ample belly....

hellojodi
12-31-2008, 07:33 AM
I am having difficulty finding bitchy words to say about my ukuleles. Mostly because a number of them were given to me, but also because I have extremely low expectations of the instrument. I’ll go in the order I got them!
Ohana – it’s a concert mahogany, like the CK20S but with friction tuners. This was an angel gift from MGM and I have always said that if I had to choose only one of my ukuleles to use forever it would be that one. My only problem with it is that it’s not blue
No-name banjo ukulele – got this one for a steal on craigslist: $50 I think? The tuners sucked though, so I replaced them with $25 Grovers. It has all your typical banjo-uke issues: always flat, narrow fretboard, etc. So I can’t really bitch. It just is what it is.
Le Domino – Also a gift. Replaced the tuners with Grovers so it’s easier to deal with, but for some reason any time I fret on the G string it’s out of tune. Must be my playing style, because Khabu played it when he stayed and it sounded great.
Blukulele – a Kala tenor in aqua, though it’s more baby blue. I use this one onstage for the pure esthetic. It’s very pretty. But I’ve sunk more money into that stupid thing…when I bought it, it needed set up, so I took it with me when I went to Boston and Craig was nice enough to do it for me, so it played better. Then Skybus folded while I was there and I had to pay something like $30 to check it on my return on the other airline. Then I had a strap button installed. Then I decided to get a pickup put in it, which made the strap button trash. So maybe I didn’t sink a lot into it, it just feels like it. It sounds fine plugged in, I have a pickup and preamp and all that jazz. But played acoustically it is awful quiet: I imagine because of the thick paint. Also not so into the tenor size any more. Also the paint job was sloppy (paint on the fretboard). I only play it when I’m onstage or practicing for a show.
Harmony – it’s green. It has a stencil. It’s righteously cute. Was a “cheer myself up” gift. No complaints, though I feel guilty that I don’t play it enough. Was supposed to be my dedicated bedroom ukulele, but I need to put a hanger on the wall for it. Haven’t done too many bedtime serenades lately though.
Some vintage plastic one – I played this one non-stop all summer! We had a pool and I would play it while floating. The action is ungodly low though, so I tune it in D or, in the case of my Sidekick video, E.
Baby Blukulele – a Makala dolphin, only named because of its soprano size: it is really a sapphire blue. Gosh, I hate that dolphin bridge! Also I bought it in Blue glitter, but the glitter doesn’t really show. Kind of a gift. Wanted to get it to try out stenciling – I was gonna turn it into a Hello Kitty ukulele. Haven’t gotten to that yet. Set up and with Aquilas it sounds AMAZING! I’m thinking of putting a pickup in it and using it as my stage uke.
Carnival sopranino – don’t have it strung yet. It was a gift.
Gidget – Rob Collins made this for me and I love love love it so so so much! It makes me feel like I really am done acquiring ukuleles. Plus I’m out of space on the wall…

UkEdman90
12-31-2008, 02:11 PM
I am having difficulty finding bitchy words to say about my ukuleles. Mostly because a number of them were given to me, but also because I have extremely low expectations of the instrument. Iíll go in the order I got them!
Ohana Ė itís a concert mahogany, like the CK20S but with friction tuners. This was an angel gift from MGM and I have always said that if I had to choose only one of my ukuleles to use forever it would be that one. My only problem with it is that itís not blue
No-name banjo ukulele Ė got this one for a steal on craigslist: $50 I think? The tuners sucked though, so I replaced them with $25 Grovers. It has all your typical banjo-uke issues: always flat, narrow fretboard, etc. So I canít really bitch. It just is what it is.
Le Domino Ė Also a gift. Replaced the tuners with Grovers so itís easier to deal with, but for some reason any time I fret on the G string itís out of tune. Must be my playing style, because Khabu played it when he stayed and it sounded great.
Blukulele Ė a Kala tenor in aqua, though itís more baby blue. I use this one onstage for the pure esthetic. Itís very pretty. But Iíve sunk more money into that stupid thingÖwhen I bought it, it needed set up, so I took it with me when I went to Boston and Craig was nice enough to do it for me, so it played better. Then Skybus folded while I was there and I had to pay something like $30 to check it on my return on the other airline. Then I had a strap button installed. Then I decided to get a pickup put in it, which made the strap button trash. So maybe I didnít sink a lot into it, it just feels like it. It sounds fine plugged in, I have a pickup and preamp and all that jazz. But played acoustically it is awful quiet: I imagine because of the thick paint. Also not so into the tenor size any more. Also the paint job was sloppy (paint on the fretboard). I only play it when Iím onstage or practicing for a show.
Harmony Ė itís green. It has a stencil. Itís righteously cute. Was a ďcheer myself upĒ gift. No complaints, though I feel guilty that I donít play it enough. Was supposed to be my dedicated bedroom ukulele, but I need to put a hanger on the wall for it. Havenít done too many bedtime serenades lately though.
Some vintage plastic one Ė I played this one non-stop all summer! We had a pool and I would play it while floating. The action is ungodly low though, so I tune it in D or, in the case of my Sidekick video, E.
Baby Blukulele Ė a Makala dolphin, only named because of its soprano size: it is really a sapphire blue. Gosh, I hate that dolphin bridge! Also I bought it in Blue glitter, but the glitter doesnít really show. Kind of a gift. Wanted to get it to try out stenciling Ė I was gonna turn it into a Hello Kitty ukulele. Havenít gotten to that yet. Set up and with Aquilas it sounds AMAZING! Iím thinking of putting a pickup in it and using it as my stage uke.
Carnival sopranino Ė donít have it strung yet. It was a gift.
Gidget Ė Rob Collins made this for me and I love love love it so so so much! It makes me feel like I really am done acquiring ukuleles. Plus Iím out of space on the wallÖ

this is what im talking about!

KoloheBoy
12-31-2008, 09:30 PM

i LOVE my applause ukes. personally though, the sopranos look retarded. i hate sopranos period just because i dont like the toyish sound but, the applause sopranos are ugly. the tenor black or koa wood is best way to go. there is occassionall buzzing, but that just means u have to change strings and it will go away.

heres MY applause :) its all i have besides an old lanikai concert. all i play. its actually an ovation celebrity, but same same.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/52/l_49e669a9b1fa4bffad45c7ba1e7b1b69.jpg

DeG
12-31-2008, 09:44 PM
I like my Applause soprano uke...Mostly because Jake autographed it, but the wires and the jack for the pickup have always rattled on it, and that sound drives me nuts!!!

I have a Pono tenor as well, and I gotta say that Ko'olau Gold strings are too heavy!!! I'm seriously considering putting Aquillas on it....

PS..I have Kala Koa Concert sized uke, and that thing is the bomb...Forget about it, no complaints!!!!!!!

SinisterDom
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I would like to see some high quality Ovation ukes, not Applause. Solid tops, premium parts, etc.

menehunenyc
01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Hilo soprano : Actually a gift from my mom to my oldest daughter when she was like four years old. It stayed in its box for 7 years until I picked it up. I took that baby all over brooklyn with me for 3 years, made 95% of my YT videos with it, finally changed the original white nylon strings that made it so loud and punchy when I couldn't finish a song because my fingers got all crampy. The Kona golds look nice, but I almost stopped playing altogether because I was frustrated with poor intonation beyond the 4th fret. I can't play it anymore because of that but I am still very fond of it because I learned how to play on it.
Kala soprano:This was a treat to get, won it from UU in its very first ukulele giveaway contest . Like the Hilo, sounds good up until the 4th fret then all intonation is lost. Sounds cheap and thin, too soft. Its the one I keep in my locker at work. Don't play it much at all, considering if/how to Deach it away, will have to consult with the Deachster himself...
Kamaka Tenor: My most precious possesion on earth, other than my kids, wife, but even more than my Trek road bike!! Beautiful curly Koa with shiny finish, Big Shot external pick up for jamming with the neighbors, loud, punchy bell tones radiate out of this beauty. Never touches the ground, table top, couch, kids hands... straight from the case to my adoring hands and back to the case kind of ukulele. I luv it luv it luv it. No case of UAS here. The only uke I will play anymore, took my playing to a whole new level.:rock:

Link
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
I just have my good ol' Mitchell MU-70 bought on a whim from Guitar Center for $100.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/GCDAdverseTemplate/Uke.jpg

Can't really compare it to anything, as it is one of the only Ukuleles I have played. Not much selection here in Utah. That goes for anything musical.

But anyways, it has served me well. It is definitely a looker, and the sound is okay. I just want a Tenor though. I think a larger size would do wonders for my playing, but mostly for my desire to play.

MisoHappy
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
see sig for names!! The last one on the right is nameless cuz its my brothers.
Left to right, Isamu, Suzu, and Aiko.

Aiko was my first uke. My auntie bought her for me at the NEX a few years back, but she hardly has enough frets for me anymore. I still pick her up once in awhile. I mainly play her for strumming songs. The only thing is that she's to small for my liking

Isamu, as i mention in my sig, used to have five strings. we took one out cuz it was pretty akward. She's from another country. (can anyone help me identify her?)I only use Isamu for picking songs, because the strings are tighter, making chords a little dead sounding. Picking sounds good though! And I that hate there are no dots on the fretboard. It makes it harder for me to do all the hight notes for some reason

Suzu was a christmas gift to me this year. Suzu is the only one I canuse for picking+strumming songs, because she sounds good both ways. She's the perfect one out of the three. There's nothing bad I can say about Suzu.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=937

nikolo727
01-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Lanikai CK-TEQ: not as warm sounding as i would like it to be. doesnt have a gloss finish. just not the quality of uke that im looking for. but its still mah babay :D