We need an epic thread...

UkEdman90

Reaction score
so every other forum has an epic thread with useless information that spans into the thousands of posts! well here is ours UU! every person registered to UU should post what they like and dislike about their very own UKES! YUP! Likes and dislikes! throw in pics, possible "wants", etc.! comment about other peoples dislikes, shoot even disagree! dont be afraid to let this discussion go off on another tangent! make this thread known! MAKE IT THE UU THREAD THAT WILL DEFINE US AS A COMMUNITY FOR UKE PLAYERS BY UKE PLAYERS!

my TEMPORARY Uke:

Applause Tenor. Its a loner, I hate it, I hate the company, totally sux! weird feel, dumb design, blah sound but i do like that it has a pickup that is ok quality!

Ohana SK-10- I love that it's blue, soprano, and my first uke.
I hate it's intonation.

Oscar Schmidt OU3 Concert- I love it's action, and nice tuners. I hate it's sharp frets.

Eleuke- I love it's body, and no feedback,
I hate that I never play it.

Dave Gjessing Waverly Street Soprano- I love that it's solid wood, and it's pretty maple body. I hate that I have to worry about it's humidity.

There is a lot of ukulele snobbery. Some people love Oscar Schmidt ukes that they own (for example) and other people are critical of that. Some people love their Lanikai and others are down on them because they are laminated (most of them anyway). Some people hate Ovation/Applause because the body is lyrachord. Well, it all depends on what the buyer or player wants in a ukulele. Some people love the value of Ohana solid-wood instruments. Some love Kala's archtop and others hate it. Some people hate a pineapple uke, period.

If you play it and like it, if it feels good to you, buy it. You can pick apart every ukulele out there and be hyper-critical of even the best luthier-built ukes, so, don't worry about it. Play the instruments you have and just have fun with them.

Kala KA-SC it's a concert with a solid spruce top.

i think it's the bees knee's, the cat's meow, and whatever out of date term that is synonymous with "friggen awesome." out of the few ukulele's i've played, it's still my favorite. it's pretty bright/loud compared to others ive played. it's got aquila strings on it. the strings stay in tune. intonation is rad. i've gone through every fret with a tuner and a guide on what notes are where on the fretboard and it's hit the right notes on all. and it's got that high gloss finish so it's extra sexy.

the only thing i didn't like about it is that i found a little bubble underneath the "kala" decal on the headstock. but it's not important and i hardly notice it. now i just notice the dings i've put in it.

next up, sooner or later (probably in mid january), i'll be getting a Kala Tenor Jazz Ukulele with the sunburst and active pickup. i need to have one after seeing benmealer get one =D

The "A" string on my Risa tenor sounds flat all over.. Only option is buying a new better uke i guess!

My Ken Timms soprano is so perfect i've stopped looking for other sopranos.. aren't UAS the fun part of playing the ukulele?

My Risa solid soprano is butt-ugly and makes people laugh at me when i play it..

Great idea UkEdman90 - i also hate your applause tenor for all the reasons you do, i had one too.

I bought a factory rejected uke because I couldn't justify spending a lot of money on an instrument that I'm not good at. But its solid wood and it has all the specs I wanted in an instrument. Its beautiful if your standing far away or are in the dark. Up close, its got glue spots, ridges in places that are supposed to be smooth, white spots in places that are supposed to be black, and I think its gonna crack soon. I feel for it the way Charlie Brown felt about his sickly runt of a Christmas tree. So I bought it some new strings and I play the Hell out of it every chance I get.

I love 99% of the things on my Bushman Jenny tenor. The 1% I dislike is that it has a cutaway. First, I am not advanced enough to utilize it and B) I am left handed so I can't use it even if I knew how. But the deal I got on it was too great to pass up -Cutaway or not.

Which begs the question, are there any Uke companies that make a left handed cutaway uke? Just curious. Plus I am also curious the percentage of left handed players vs. right handed players. I am a natural lefty and pretty much do everything lefty. I can imagine that it is easier for a left handed player to play righty but is there anyone out there who is naturally right handed but plays lefty. I know there are a lot of questions packed in here but this is the epic thread.
thanks

Kala KA-SC it's a concert with a solid spruce top.

i think it's the bees knee's, the cat's meow, and whatever out of date term that is synonymous with "friggen awesome." out of the few ukulele's i've played, it's still my favorite. it's pretty bright/loud compared to others ive played. it's got aquila strings on it. the strings stay in tune. intonation is rad. i've gone through every fret with a tuner and a guide on what notes are where on the fretboard and it's hit the right notes on all. and it's got that high gloss finish so it's extra sexy.

the only thing i didn't like about it is that i found a little bubble underneath the "kala" decal on the headstock. but it's not important and i hardly notice it. now i just notice the dings i've put in it.

next up, sooner or later (probably in mid january), i'll be getting a Kala Tenor Jazz Ukulele with the sunburst and active pickup. i need to have one after seeing benmealer get one =D

that's funny, I have the same Uke (KA-SC with Aquilas) and feel the same way about it, plus: I want to get a Kala Tenor Jazz... weird^^ but I might get a Pono Mango Tenor instead (wouldn't be too bad^^)

btw, I'm right-handed

you asked for it

I think those Applause ukes and guitars look like some sort of white trash wall decoration. There. I said it.

I'll post again later when I think of some really bitchy things to say about my own ukuleles.

no sir! haha! come on aldrinde give us ur likes and dislikes about mika!

I like applause ukes. It just needs to be worked on. Did you lower the action and fool around with the settings?!

Hmm Mika...
Her bridge is slightly off now. It might be cause by me leaving it in my car. She plays sharp. She's not supposed to since I recently changed from high tension to normal tension. She should be playing flat if anything. I think she needs a trip back to the factory for a surgery hahaha

I like the Applause/Ovation ukes and guitars, as long as they have a cutaway. The non-cutaway ones are ugly. Still, good sound plugged in. And their larger guitars are awesome acoustically.

Not a big fan of spruce tops on ukes. I've heard/played some that sounded great, but light-colored wood on a uke just doesn't look right to me. Yeah, it's irrational. :B

Love my pineapple Flea, but I have to get over the fear of embarrassment of playing it in public.

Love my Kamaka soprano. Didn't like the buzz at the 5th and 7th frets, so I took the Aquilas off and swapped them for the D'Addarios on my Flea. Now the Flea has the Aquila buzz. :(

On a side note, the epic threads that draw millions of views from people who don't even belong to the forum are usually from trolls. I'm sure a lot of people here have seen "Got my girlfriend to model for my car." ;)

I like applause ukes. It just needs to be worked on. Did you lower the action and fool around with the settings?!

Hmm Mika...
Her bridge is slightly off now. It might be cause by me leaving it in my car. She plays sharp. She's not supposed to since I recently changed from high tension to normal tension. She should be playing flat if anything. I think she needs a trip back to the factory for a surgery hahaha

I actually cant! since its a loner they dont even want me changing the strings without their say so! totally sux!

I play a Mele solid koa top solid mahghany back and sides with fishman pickup. I love everything about my uke except for the price I paid for it. I am hesitant to take it some places b/c I don't want to forget it in the car or something and run the risk of damaging it. I also have a Mele 6 string solid mahaghany tenor that I love but am trying to get rid of. UAS will solve my first problem since I am getting a laminate uke soon but I want to get a KoAloha and I am trying to decide about a Wai'olo as well instead of the KoAloha. Decisions decisions decisions. Maybe Obama will make it possible that we will all get what we want.

As far as cutaways go. I like the way that Mele makes their cutaways. Not as drastic as the other companys. I believe Kala makes a left handed cutaway.

Last edited:
I like the Applause ukes...but only the tenors...the sopranos and (do they even make) concerts look weird to me.

Top Bottom