Collings UT2 sunburst tenor ukulele with figured mahogany

Status
Not open for further replies.

backdrifter

Reaction score
I'm new here because this was my first ukulele. I have 100% eBay feedback rating under "kbl118". I also have many, many positive references through deals on AGF, TGP, and the Collings Forum under the same screen name as here, "backdrifter".

Well, this one was short but sweet and highly entertaining. Isn't that how some of the best flings go?

I accepted this gorgeous Collings uke in partial trade for a guitar I was selling a few weeks ago. I had an absolute blast with it over the past couple of weeks, but I'm playing it less now and would prefer to move it on to someone who can really enjoy (and play) it. It's a 2011 UT2sb in EXC+++ condition. It just has a few light marks on the top - things that could easily be buffed out, I hesitate to even call them scratches. This ukulele sounds fantastic and is a joy to play. It's light and very loud. I have the 2013 Collings price list, and it shows that a UT2 now lists at $1,750, with the sunburst being a $500 list adder. Take the 10% off of that total, and it should sell for $ 2,025 new. That doesn't take into account the highly figured mahogany either. I'm not sure if that's an upcharge or not, but it sure seems like it would be. And, as most of you know, Collings is taking a hiatus from building ukuleles. One Collings dealer recently told me this is because it takes almost as long to build one as a guitar, but they can't ask as much - so profit margin is much thinner on the ukuleles.

I'm asking $1,650 shipped in the CONUS (PayPal fees extra, if used) for this beauty, firm.

I don't think I need any trades at this point, but I am weak, and particularly interested in Collings small body guitars at this point. Maybe other brands too.

Please contact me at bennyl118 at hotmail dot com with questions or inquiries. Thanks for looking!

Absolutely stunning. I would buy it if I had the funds.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. You should however check out the rules for selling on this forum.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. You should however check out the rules for selling on this forum.

Thank you for the welcome. I am a courteous forum member on all of the online communities in which I participate, and consequently I did indeed read the rules before posting. There are only two hard and fast rules - no links to eBay, and no dealers.

I understand that not being a participating member with a high post count may make for a tougher sale. And I understand that some people frown upon joining a forum just to sell an instrument, but I've never understood that mentality. I am an upstanding member of many musical and motorcycle based forums and will gladly provide references and will guarantee a smooth and easy transaction. Yes, I benefit from listing an instrument on your forum, but so does anyone that may be interested in my instrument. In addition, I'm happy to make a donation to the forum if I sell this ukulele through this ad. If you ask me, it's a win-win-win situation for me, the potential buyer, and the community.

If there are additional rules that I missed and am not adhering to, I would appreciate if you could point them out and I would be glad to follow them.

Thanks for looking.

Ben

I think the only thing you are missing is an image of your ukulele with a note of some sort with your name and date. Good luck with your sale.

D'oh, I guess I'm not as considerate as I thought! Sorry about that guys and gals. Let's try this, then:

Not only does it meet the marketplace requirements but those new photos of the front show of the figure in the top. Stunning...

Last edited:
i am a moderator on the AGF(acousticguitarforum), know of 'backdrifter' and have witnessed many a happy buyer of one of his typically very nice guitars.

welcome backdrifter, and man, if i had not just spent $1650 on a Kanilea i would be all over this. actually trying to figure out what to liquidate to accomplish the buy.

best of luck on the sale, and folks here have no worries of buying from this fellow
d

Gentlemen,

Thank you kindly for all of the kind words. Daryl, nice to see you over here - I recognized your screen name immediately. This seems like a wonderful forum, and who knows, maybe I'll be back to increase my post count. I'd certainly like to own another uke and learn more, but I prefer not to have as much wrapped up in one as I do in this wonderful Collings.

Also, I would like to add Lowden guitars to the list of possible trades that may interest me.

Thanks for looking, and here are a few more photos for good measure:

Man, that is one of the most beautiful mahogany ukuleles I've ever seen. Collings sunbursts can not be beat!

Good luck with the sale!

I would suggest that those who suggest reading the forum rules should also read the forum rules....

:)

I would suggest that those who suggest reading the forum rules should also read the forum rules....

:)

I only saw two rules:

1 - Don't direct sales to ebay
2 - No dealers

Everything else is a "guideline"

Ok, here's the deal. Everyone wants a safe trading area. The guidelines, printing your name on placard, etc. at least can help assure us that you indeed have the item and didn't grab the product pics from someone else's website. (See the recent poster selling the 5K Martin) Many of us are seasoned UAS veterans and buy and sell fairly frequently. I can think of at least a dozen posters I'd have no fear trusting to send me an item they are selling. Most of those are senior members, well known to the forum. The newcomers haven't yet earned a good reputation. So junior members are at a disadvantage. The guidelines help.

Great photos like yours really help sell an instrument, good luck with the sale.

Thanks for the kind comments, Mike!

justinlcecil - I think you were mostly kidding, but feel free to contact me if you're serious. I once sold a Benedetto guitar on a payment plan. There were some ground rules - the first payment was non-refundable (to protect me), and I didn't ship the guitar until it was fully paid for, but it ended up working out very well for both parties (I can get you in contact with the gentleman as a reference as well).

That's stunning. I have the money right here, and as much as my heart is saying "BUY BUY BUY! LOOK AT THE SHINY!", I need to pay off debts. :(

Damn being responsible! Good luck with the sale. :)

That's stunning. I have the money right here, and as much as my heart is saying "BUY BUY BUY! LOOK AT THE SHINY!", I need to pay off debts. :(

Damn being responsible! Good luck with the sale. :)

I'm in that boat too. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom