Sea Change

Pondoro

Reaction score
Lately when I tell people that I play the uke they say, "I saw Jake on TV" versus the old, "Can you play Tiptoe Through The Tulips" remark. It is a very nice change.

Good point. However, now people ask me if I can play Jake's arrangement of "Bohemian Rhapsody," which I can't, and I have to tell them, "No, but I can play 'Tiptoe Through The Tulips.' " Thanks, Jake! :)

It seems to be a distinct age divide for me, anyone over about 50 says Tiny Tim, anyone under usually thinks of Jake, or Iz, or Eddie Vedder. (just my experience)

As someone that has been playing the ukulele for over forty years; I'll take Tiny over Jake any day of the week.
Taking nothing away from Jake (he is a once in a generation player); I started playing the ukulele because I enjoyed the Tin Pan Alley type songs, many of which were written with the ukulele in mind.
I've never once been offended by being asked if I could play "Tiptoe" ( any song that was introduced by Nick Lucas is OK in my book).
Sorry if I sound like an old crab,but I really get sick of all of the Tiny Tim bashing I see on ukulele websites.
He was a bit of an odd duck,but I always thought that the ukulele was kind of an instrument that appealed to oddballs and misfits.
Believe me,even today,if you want to fit in and/or be popular,learn to play the guitar instead.
I know that this will not endear me to many of the group here,but that is my take.
Bill

Lately when I tell people that I play the uke they say, "I saw Jake on TV" versus the old, "Can you play Tiptoe Through The Tulips" remark. It is a very nice change.

I'm just glad that it's been a good long while since, upon learning that I play uke, people seem to have finally stopped responding by asking me if I can play "Hey, Soul Sister."

As someone that has been playing the ukulele for over forty years; I'll take Tiny over Jake any day of the week.
Taking nothing away from Jake (he is a once in a generation player); I started playing the ukulele because I enjoyed the Tin Pan Alley type songs, many of which were written with the ukulele in mind.
I've never once been offended by being asked if I could play "Tiptoe" ( any song that was introduced by Nick Lucas is OK in my book).
Sorry if I sound like an old crab,but I really get sick of all of the Tiny Tim bashing I see on ukulele websites.
He was a bit of an odd duck,but I always thought that the ukulele was kind of an instrument that appealed to oddballs and misfits.
Believe me,even today,if you want to fit in and/or be popular,learn to play the guitar instead.
I know that this will not endear me to many of the group here,but that is my take.
Bill

While I don't think it's an either/or situation - there's a whole wide world of music in between Tim and Jake! - I do think Tim gets a bit of a bad rap. While Tim was no musical virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination, he does deserve some respect simply for his affection for the material and the ukulele itself.

Truth is, I'm just happy when people respond by knowing what a ukulele is in the first place... and even happier when they acknowledge that it's a real instrument. And I think Jake's media presence has done a lot in this regard.

It's refreshing when I mention the ukulele and people chuckle and ask me to pull out the toy guitar and play "Home On The Range".

I've never been asked for anything from anyone ever in the past. Not even a plug nickel. It's nice to be wanted, even if it is for passing levity like a clown.

Top Bottom