Martin Tenor (vintage) 14 fret to Body

Howie1947

Reaction score
I recently came upon a very nice Martin Tenor to add to my collection. Anyone out there have a Martin 14 fret. To me it seems a bit larger than my 12 fret Marin. Slightly larger in the body etc. When I pick them up to play, I can really tell the difference almost immediately. The 14 fret seems to give that feeling that it is a bit more robust. Any ideas, thoughts? Please chime in !

I have a 40s 14 fret and a 40s 12 fret. There is certainly a small difference in size and shape that you can feel. I haven't really noticed a big difference in tone between the two, but I haven't had much of an opportunity to play them both side by side. For some reason, I prefer the 14 fret feel. It just seems to have a little more of that mojo or something. It's really a great uke!

I have both and prefer the sound of the 14-fret one, but it could just be those two individual instruments. I do like those extra two frets, though. Congratulations!

Howie, First off - congrats on the acquisition. I am also on the prowl for a 40's or 50's 14 fret Martin tenor, but haven't had any luck finding one that wasn't beat to smithereens or priced in the stratosphere. Funny, when I wasn't looking for one, I saw them everywhere for sale - now that I'm looking for one, they seem to be rare as hens teeth. Anyway, could you post a pic of yours - I'd love to see it.

Howie, I have one and a music store owner has a 12 fret. We played them side by side and the 14 seems more full but not by alot. They are a beast, The really big thing with old martin tenors IMO is that the harder you play it the better it sounds. I mean really hammer down on the strum and they really project. Phil

001.jpg002.jpgThanks for all the feedback, soon as sun comes up here in sunny So Calif. I will take some shots

Last edited:
Howie, That is really a fine looking uke - and both a 14 and a 12 fretter - very cool!

Thanks, my wife bought it for me. She bought me both of them. I guess I'm a lucky guy!

Top Bottom