Ukulele straps

xarcul

Reaction score
I'm about to order my first uke. I've seen lots of different straps, but none of them look particularly wonderful. Can anyone persuade me otherwise, or should I just have them install strap buttons before they ship it, which will be an extra £5 plus the cost of the buttons?

Thanks!

Matt

Check out the Uke Leash and the Kiwaya (sp?) straps - neither requires a strap button.

Which uke are you getting? I personally don't like the strap button on a uke but that's just my $0.02 lots of players have them.

I'm about to order my first uke. I've seen lots of different straps, but none of them look particularly wonderful. Can anyone persuade me otherwise, or should I just have them install strap buttons before they ship it, which will be an extra £5 plus the cost of the buttons?

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm not unbiased, but I also wasn't happy with any of the strap choices I found so I invented my own, the Mobius Strap. It gives truly hands-free support and doesn't require any screws or glues. To find out all about it check it out at www.mobiusstrap.com.

Best,

If you are ordering online, there's always a possibility that you might want to return the uke after seeing and/or playing it, so you should check whether the seller will allow you to return the uke if they install a button for you.

FWIW, after I had been playing for about 3 weeks, I got a Uke Leash (which doesn't require a button) and it made a world of difference for me. When I upgraded my uke about 6 months later, I got a button installed and bought an adapter that converted the Uke Leash to a full strap, which I am still using 2 years later.

If you think a strap would be handy (and they are for me) then have the dealer install it, as long as it doesn't void the warranty. I think it is less traumatic to get it done before you get the uke, that way if there is any trouble with the installation, you haven't bonded with that uke yet, and they can swap it out for another undamaged uke (and it is all on them to not goof it up). If you think you want an amp in your uke, you might want to have that installed now.
I offer the Uke Leash half strap (no button needed and no hooks) which works for many people. If you think you might be standing while playing, a full strap with a button would be the most helpful. There is a Strap Button Adapter to convert the Uke Leash half strap into a full strap if needed (with 2 sizes available for the buttonhole). I also carry full uke straps (Guitar Style Straps) for both standard strap buttons and the larger amp/ jack buttons.

–Lori

Last edited:
Buy a UkeLeash - they're Lori's and she's an active member here on the boards ^ so it's like "buying locally!"

I've wondered if they are worth using. ....I've got one for my guitar but just thought the Uke would be too small.

I've wondered if they are worth using. ....I've got one for my guitar but just thought the Uke would be too small.

It's a matter of personal preference and convenience. I'm using a mandolin strap on my tenor and a Kala strap on my concert pineapple. I really like the straps so that I can concentrate on chord changes better with more freedom of movement. If I'm ever good enough, I plan to stop using the straps, but....... (sigh).......

Hmmm, I still not too sure...

Whatever I decide to get in the end, I'm not planning on using a strap at first. I figure it will be better if I learn without, to develop good habits, and possibly use one later.

Hmmm, I still not too sure...

Whatever I decide to get in the end, I'm not planning on using a strap at first. I figure it will be better if I learn without, to develop good habits, and possibly use one later.

Not everybody needs a strap, but if you find it awkward to support the neck while changing chords, I'd really encourage you to try one. When I started playing, I thought a strap was a crutch to be avoided, and I struggled for 3 weeks before I finally broke down and tried a Uke Leash. For me, the difference was dramatic, and my only regret is that I waited so long. I almost always play my concert with a strap even when seated.

I really think that straps are not a problem. Look at James Hill, using a strap for years. Jake started using one too, so no big stigma there. What matters is how you play, and juggling and struggling usually makes bad music and a sore wrist. I think it is a non-issue. If you play better with a strap, why would you ever stop?

–Lori

My playing improved dramatically once I started using a strap. Now all of my ukes have straps, even my little banjolele. When I get a new uke, regardless of price, the first thing I do is get buttons installed.

Hmm, lot's of things to think about!
If I were to get a strap buttons, is it better to have just one and attach the other end to the headstock, or get two?

I was never keen on straps until I got a baritone uke and found it a too large to hang on to and play while standing up. I searched for a suitable strap and thought I'd like a narrow one but then decided to buy a 2 inch wide one. I fitted my own strap button and bought this Ernie Ball one and the quality is really excellent even though it's only a fiver!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171011457447?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Don't be put off by the price they're really excellent quality.
I use a cord at the headstock (60cm bootlace) and I'm unsure if that'll wear through the finish over time. When I got my newest uke which is a tenor with very glossy finish it was a bit slippery to hold so I got another one of the Ernie Ball straps for it too. I find it much easier to play while standing when using a strap. I always thought I was ok playing my concert without a strap but since fitting the others I've noticed that I'm using thought and effort holding the uke which distracts just a little bit and affects my playing. The other factor with me is using a strap stops me holding the concert uke too tight and reducing the resonance of the body which makes the uke quieter.

Last edited:
Hmm, lot's of things to think about!
If I were to get a strap buttons, is it better to have just one and attach the other end to the headstock, or get two?
I have played several ukes with the 2 button option, and it can be a problem if not installed in the optimal position. If your uke is top heavy, the neck might drop out of position if you have a smooth strap. On smaller ukes, the 2 button system can sometimes cause a log roll action as you lean forward. That would drive me nuts! It can be done right, if your uke has the right balance and you get a knowledgable luthier to do it. My Mya-Moe strap buttons work fine on my concert. To be safe, I prefer the stability of one button and headstock attachment.

–Lori

Top Bottom