PDA

View Full Version : Ukeless and Jonesing

armchair_spaceman
05-30-2013, 03:21 AM
I hadn't realised I was addicted...not so soon. My only uke has been away for replacement/repair for a little over a week and my fingers have the itch, badly. Very hard it is, resisting buying another...just a small one...just to "tide me over". Twice this week I've "casually" dropped into music shops and noodled around with a few ukes to surruptitiously get my "fix". Shop folks have been very friendly and accommodating (enablers!)...it feels like I'm just about to step onto a slippery slope...I hope mine comes back before the weekend...or something irrational's going to happen :eek:

( It's not like I wasn't warned :rolleyes: )

teruterubouzu
05-30-2013, 03:27 AM
You should get a dolphin just to have on hand for situations like this. :) Hope you get your uke back soon!

mm stan
05-30-2013, 03:40 AM
Hey no talk ....just go in and impulse buy one...ha ha UAS is not a bad thing :)

wayfarer75
05-30-2013, 04:12 AM
If you want people to encourage you to NOT buy a uke, this is not the place to go! ;)

Ambient Doughnut
05-30-2013, 04:17 AM
UAS can get out of hand easily but owning only one Uke...sheesh! That's not good - what if a friend drops round for a strum? Just the other day that Jake Shimabukuro dropped in with James Hill in tow. They were just passing and were looking for directions to a decent tea shop. Luckily I had a couple of ukes on hand and was able to enjoy a lively jam before sending them on their way. Shame my video camera wasn't charged as would have been pretty cool to have a record of it. Oh well...

addicted2myuke
05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
NEVER have just one uke. What if one is in the shop? Oops, that's what happened. Lesson learned. Buy another one. You won't regret it. You don't have to spend a ton.

Pikagirl
05-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I've "casually" dropped into music shops and noodled around with a few ukes to surruptitiously get my "fix". Shop folks have been very friendly and accommodating (enablers!)...it feels like I'm just about to step onto a slippery slope.

I bought my first uke a couple of weeks ago as an impulse purchase after being inspired by Amanda Palmer playing the "Ukelele Anthem" live at a writers' workshop. I didn't know you had to think about buying one:confused: I thought it was just as the spirit moved. I highly recommend having a second one around, which I soon will, if for no other reason because between my husband and my son I have to keep hiding my dolphin so I can have some quality time with it.

So... go buy one. NOW!

kvehe
05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Do it. Really, just do it.

armchair_spaceman
06-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Do it. Really, just do it.

Hehehehe thanks all. Ok, yep, so I did it, but not in a good way. I kind of wanted my "next" uke to be a substantial upgrade on the current one, hence my initial reluctance but just for shiggles I went and bought a novelty cheapie. One of those wacky Mahalo ones with the smiley face. I really didn't expect much but crikey what a POS. I naively assumed that out of the box it would be the same condition as the shop's display one (which actually played OK for what it is) but no... :rolleyes: ...fret wires are all crooked and a couple are lifting, the bridge is about 1/4" off to one side etc etc. and it sounds just awful. Back to the shop it goes (and next time I'll make sure I have my glasses with me). Oh well, not a big deal really and the shop's not out of my way. Two lessons learned :)