Got a vintage soprano-Favilla!

insula

Reaction score
Thanks to all the members who responded to my message the other day-I took your advice, waited and bid on an old Favilla on Ebay and it's on the way to me now-can't wait, I'm so excited.

Now I'll have to think about new tuners, 'cause the old ones are clearly shot-3 original black button, very grotty indeed and one odd mismatched white tuner. Grovers? Pings? And strings-any suggestions? I'll need something to bring out all the latent mellowness.

Thanks to all again - you're the best!

I have two Favilla sopranos (1 is for sale) and I put Worth brown medium strings on them. The tension is just right for old mahogany, and it helps them boom out. I really like Favilla soprano ukes.

Last edited:
There is no better tuner to put on them than PEGHEDS. They are a very light weight geared tuner which looks like an old style wooden peg. www.ukeeku.com did a review of them. I traded the nicest Favilla soprano I have ever had for a Favilla Wimbrola. It is Favilla's reply to the early Kamaka pineapple. The top was off of it with a ) shaped bow to it. When the braces were reglued onto, it flattened right out. It will get the short PEGHEDS and Aquila soprano strings. www.pegheds.net

i recently bought a teardrop favilla from someone on here, they are fantastic ukes. one of my best without doubt.

Good for you! I have three Favilla ukuleles and I love them. I like Martin M600 strings on mine.

Post pics when you get it!

Last edited:
I use to own a vintage Favilla from the 1920s ,,Loved it View attachment 53821
And you sold it? That would be like tearing my heart out of my chest! I'm just sorry that I was not the one that bought it. I have a blue teardrop, but I would love to own a black.

Hi Tsani! Sorry about your broken heart,,lol. Hey ,where were you back in 02-14-2012? I had created a thread right HERE to let everyone know that I was selling the Favilla on eBay.
"1920s Favilla 'teardrop' soprano
Hello (JF)-brothers and sisters, I have to start thinning out the 'pack' here and so I have put my beautiful Favilla on ebay yesterday. I will tell you that this teardrop is in VERY good playing condition considering it is approx 92 years old now. When i first bought it some time ago it did not have any serious issues. I did replace the tuner heads screws and cleaned it up (new strings etc) You will like the pics..Im not sure that i can place a link here so all you have to do is to search ebay with keywords like 'favilla' "

Thanks again!

It look as though I'm joining good old uke company - thanks a bunch again, and I'll post before and after pix when I make the necessary adjustments.

This instrument is especially fascinating for me, because if it proves to be a 40's Favilla, it was made just a few blocks from where I was born, in lower Manhattan. Gotta love the oldies.

Welcome to our forum Insula! Ill say again,,i loved my old Favilla,,If I remember well, someone in Hawaii purchased my 1920s Favilla,,so you know it should be in good hands. After-all, The ukulele originated in Hawaii during the 19th century.
By the way,,I love playing my Lanikai Baritone ,,I cant wait until Im able to have a pickup installed into it.

I like Fremont blackline mediums on my Favillas. The tuners for that era were cheap plastic so I wouldn't worry about buying fancy tuners unless you really like them. Vintage Favillas, especially the mahogany ukes, are great buys and highly undervalued in comparison to what you'd get for the same price in a new or modern uke. Enjoy.

Top Bottom