looking for banjo reccomendations

OscarmangoTE

Reaction score
Want to give the bluegrass banjo a try but picking a good one is tough the 2 local music stores each carry one banjo a fender and a hohner both are real basic and I would like to get a little better than a starter banjo anyone have any suggestions I've been looking at ones at the banjohut

Want to give the bluegrass banjo a try but picking a good one is tough the 2 local music stores each carry one banjo a fender and a hohner both are real basic and I would like to get a little better than a starter banjo anyone have any suggestions I've been looking at ones at the banjohut

Hi OscarmangoTE,

I play and teach bluegrass banjo in Santa Barbara and recently played a Recording King Madison Deluxe RK-R36 which played and sounded like a banjo costing two or three times as much. This is a Mastertone-style bluegrass banjo with a full-weight tone ring and mahogany neck and resonator with a gloss finish. They retail for around $1000 but often go on eBay for under $700. If you can afford it, you won't need to buy a better banjo for a long time.

I traded a guitar for one a couple of years ago with the intention of learning which I haven't done yet. I've got about 12 years left before retirement and may learn then. I thought I would get a head start on it by getting the banjo and books for teaching myself when that time comes. The banjo is a 65 Gibson RB-100 and seems like a nice banjo for the money. I've seen this same model depending on how old and condition go anywhere from $800 to $1400 on eBay. If you could get one in the 8 or $900 range I would think it would be a good one with not a lot of money spent and if you decided banjo wasn't for you then you can always get your money back since its a Gibson.

Top Bottom