Replacing Strings on Vintage Martin Tenors with Bridge Pins (a nightmare)

Howie1947

Reaction score
This topic may have been addressed previously? I'm not sure. Anyway, would some kind person explain the principle with regard to how the string is anchored down in the bridge. I think I see a "grooved slot" down the bridge pin hole. If this is true, after I tie a knot in the end of my string, is the knotted end then secured into the slot, and bridge pin placed for more security? I have been told that the bridge pin does all the work in securing the string and there is no slot for knot? I have a devil of a time replacing the strings. If someone could explain just how the process is achieved, that would be great. Howie

Bridge pins with classical strings is just style before substance. Bridge pins work GREAT for steel strings with ball ends but not so much for classical strings. Yes first tie a knot in the string.

Now importantly. The bridge pin is NOT securing the string. The string is being secured because the knot in the string is catching on the underside of the saddle. The bridge pin is just a safety as it prevent the string coming loose due to movement. If its done right you should be able to remove the bridge pins while the strings are under tension and they will just stay there.

So you feed the string in with the knot on the end and then slip the bridge pins in lightly. Pull the string through until it catches under the saddle. If its catching on the end of the bridge pin then its wrong and you have to fish around until its catching under the bridge. If its not catching you may need to tie a bigger knot in the string. When the string has caught under the saddle push the bridge pin home.

Anthony

Yes Tony is right also make sure your string is in the groove of the pin and facing the headplate...Good Luck to me way simpler than the regular way

It is often difficult to keep strings from pulling out when using bridge pins. On pin bridges, I use beads in a "string through bridge" setup without the bridge pins. Run a string down through the pin hole and back out through the soundhole. Tie a bead on to the end and pull back out so the bead anchors the string in place under the bridge plate. I use glass beads slightly larger than the pin holes for this application.

Save the original bridge pins in the case.

Tie a bead on the end of the string AND use the bridge pins...which should be correctly fitted for an easy slip in-slip out with no string. Bridge pins should NOT be a tight wedge fit; that can lead to the bridge cracking across the line of the pin holes. In practice, the string holds the pin in place and the pin keeps the ball end or bead in place.

Then is there some sort of "slot" that the bead catches on through the bridge pin hole which anchors it? Then the bridge pin acts as type of "double security"?

The knot or bead "catching" on the bridge plate is a little hit or miss. You have to fish around sometimes to get it in the right place. The ball ends on steel strings catch more readily and securely. The force of the string tension is being held by the string knot or bead against the bottom of the bridge. The pin is just holding the string sideways preventing it from slipping out.

EDIT: I don't like bridge pins on classical string instruments. I have one ukulele with this system but I'm not going out of my way to buy any other ukulele's with bridge pins. Wait. I have another instrument with bridge pins that has steel strings fitted and setup for slide. Bridge pins work without hassles with steel strings and ball ends. Classical strings? Its fashion. Other systems for classical strings work better.

Anthony

Last edited:
I may have been doing this wrong all these years, but I found it works better to put the groove in the bridge pins on my Martin tenors AWAY from the string.

I prefer bridge pins on tenors and baritones. I'm comfortable with them after many years of guitars. I've been able to use a large knot (double figure eight) and have not had to use the small beads that Rick T suggests. And like Tim Mullins, after seating the knot on the bridge plate, I usually twist the grooves in the bridge pin away from the string.

Top Bottom