Banjoleles: Zither Heaven vs Firefly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukestr10

Reaction score
If those were my two options, I would go with the firefly. The zither banjo isn't really a banjo as it uses a wood head instead of plastic. It probably won't have much of a banjo sound. I played a firefly, and it was decent.

Dan

If those were my two options, I would go with the firefly. The zither banjo isn't really a banjo as it uses a wood head instead of plastic. It probably won't have much of a banjo sound. I played a firefly, and it was decent.

Dan

It also doesn't have tuning pegs - it uses a key to tune, much like an autoharp/piano/psaltry. Functional? yes. Pain in the butt? Oh, yeah.

I've had my Firefly about 2 years now. Love it! (Got Peghed tuners, rosewood fingerboard.)

-Kurt​

the fireflies are a little overpriced when new, imho,, but they are made in the US, play nice ,and are light, which is unusual for a banjolele. I give them 2 thumbs up. they come up for sale used fairly often, so if you're patient you may be able to save some on a used one. I prefer the wood fretboard, only because the frets are hard to \see on the plastic. I've had both and they play about the same.

Last edited:
I played a Firefly at the Tampa Bay Uke Getaway in November. It's cute as hell, light as a feather, and has a great, loud, banjo uke sound. May not have all the metal rims, pegs, etc., but it sure is fun to play. I have a very heavy Rally Concert size banjo uke, but I sure wouldn't mind having a Firefly....I'd probably play it a lot more than the Rally.

I played one yesterday...the firefly at HMS>..it sounded Okay....would be a great start to get in the banjo....one thing they are feather light which is great....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom