Autograph on uke

evert.tan

Reaction score
What kind of marker do you guys recommend for an autograph on a uke? It has a gloss finish. I am going to see Jake Shimabukuro in August and will be getting his autograph during the meet and greet they have for VIP ticket holders. Didn't want to just use permanent marker and later find out it was a mistake.

INDUSTRIAL Sharpie. Usually available at any office supply store.

Black or Silver Sharpie Works. Just make sure after it's signed you don't rub it for a few minutes, that high gloss'll get ya.

I had Jake sign my high gloss uke with a sharpie, and it's almost entirely rubbed off now

Black or Silver Sharpie Works. Just make sure after it's signed you don't rub it for a few minutes, that high gloss'll get ya.

If you play the uke like you supposed to..it is going to rub off for sure..unless you put a finish over it..which is kind of weird..haha

just get a nice picture of him and have him sign it..

Yes, Industrial Sharpie (not to be confused with standard Sharpie):agree:
Regular Sharpie might bleed if you try and seal it with a clear coat spray.
–Lori

Yes, sharpie and if you want to keep it just have him sign in a place where it will not rub off. Have fun!!

If you want the autograph to last, you should probably use some type of paint pen. If the uke is dark, a silver or gold may look pretty slick.

I remember a stumbling upon a thread on some guitar forum that discussed this and my understanding is that a sharpie will fade over time and you can't really spray a clear over it to preserve it.

My advice is to go to an art store and find out what will work the best.

John

i had jake sign my uke with an industrial sharpie (http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/industrial-fine-marker.aspx) and it hasn't rubbed off yet. i had pops koaloha sign the other side. not sure what he used--i requested a sharpie.

i asked both to sign on the side of the body of the uke--not the front (aka, face or soundboard). that way the beautiful koa still shines unblemished and the signatures provide a nice surprise from the sides. also, you will be much less likely to rub them away while playing.

but def get a pic of you with jake!

+1.

I had Jake sign my Kanilea Gloss with one of these about 5 years ago; signed it on the back by the neck. I've played that uke quite a bit since then, and the autograph is still going strong.

Top Bottom