2nd simple question

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am trying to ask simple qusetions here slowly so I will eventually get the courage to build a body for the concert neck I have. My first question was how to find wood. THe 2nd is: What is the "spliced looking" wood called that goes around the inside of the body? Thanks for bearing with me!

Go look at the following company sites:

Luthiers Mercantile

Allied Lutherie

Stewart MacDonald Guitar Shop Supply

And the names for what you're asking about are "linings", "kerfed linings", or simply "kerfing". A "kerf" is like a doughnut hole...it's what's gone when you saw wood. The slots in the linings are saw kerfs.

thanks Rick. I am eager to give this a try! Are the kerfed linings as plyable as they look? They look as if they are used to just glue the sides to the top and bottom. Is that right?

It depends on the species of the wood, how close the kerf slots are, and how thin the web that is left is. But essentially they are pretty flexible.

While they do glue the sides to the top and back, what they are used for is to increase the glueing area to those areas. You still need to glue the sides to the top and back. Where the width of the kerfed linings comes in to it's own is when much or all of the glue join between top and sides has been removed to install bindings and purflings on instruments that have that extra trim. If the extra width of those linings wasn't there then the instrument would simply fall apart after those rebates were machined.

I thought about doing the same thing first time I saw Jake play. I went through the same dilemma. I don't want him to sign something I would be using on a regular basis. So, I thought about getting a cheapie uke, but didn't want to insult him (couldn't afford a Kamaka just to hang on the wall). So, I'm perfectly happy with the signed CD. He's probably happier signing CD's anyway. That way he knows you're helping support his work.

Top Bottom