Something I thought I'd never say...

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Kala delivered some new models today.... Best sounding concert I have heard from them. A tenor we got an exclusive run of and a few other cool new ukes. All of them I was pleased with, but this post is about something I thought I would never say.
I brought home a Kala pocket uke because.... I love it! And that's what I thought I'd never say. Their new thin body travel pocket uke sounds better than the previous wider ones, and most importantly, it's super easy to play! Neck slightly wider, lightweight geared tuners, great intonation.What a suprise! I wrote these off as novelty years ago and here I am after playing for the last hour and, yes, totally fun, playable and great sound. How is this?! I never imagined, ever, didn't even bother with it at Namm but this is my traveler now.
I actually had to take it back from my daughter. Told her, "ok go to bed now, you can play it tomorrow!"
kala-pocket-uke-4.jpg
kala-pocket-uke-3.jpg

Try one out and tell us if you agree~

What model is that? How soon will these be on the website for order? O_O

Aloha Andrew....
I just bought a slimline concert a couple weeks ago, and they sound great...I was amazed by kala preformance now and how good it sounds...I was at HMS yesterday and played
a soprano and concert slimlines really set up nice....and they both are amazing..I am sure they won't last long...as the price is a unbelievable value for it's preformance, looks and comfort..
easy to play and a great gloss finish..

Last edited:
I had never seen the point of these,. but your review is tempting me. I didn't see this model on Kala's website. What is its model number?

First rule of uking....have fun!

I had never seen the point of these.
Agree. Is the extra, what, inch and a half less in length make it a better traveler than a soprano? With different tuning, less volume, less string sustain, more difficult fretting than a soprano (I'd assume), and still a hollow body that requires care in handling, what could possibly be the purpose of a sopranino? Please enlighten, anyone. This is an honest question from a guy that's never owned or understood them. Thanks.

P.S. Here's Brozman playing a pocket uke by Kala--is that a sopranino? Perhaps not, but whatever it is, it sure makes a string wizard sound awful. LOL

Last edited:
oh, that's a shame Steve...I just bought you one of these for your birthday

It's OK mate, don't thank me :p

Agree. Is the extra, what, inch and a half less in length make it a better traveler than a soprano? With different tuning, less volume, less string sustain, more difficult fretting than a soprano (I'd assume), and still a hollow body that requires care in handling, what could possibly be the purpose of a sopranino? Please enlighten, anyone. This is an honest question from a guy that's never owned or understood them. Thanks.

Ya, I would have been right there with you a day ago. But ya know what, this is way different. The body depth matches much better for a beautiful chime, and sustain of a soprano or better than some, the nut width and fret size is the exact same as my national concert, and much to my surprise it's super fun to play. So ya, maybe a tenor player would say something similar to you about your soprano preference, and I would have agreed with you about the sopranino a day ago. I don't really care about travel. I'll bring a tenor if I want, unfortunately I'm not climbing Kilimanjaro anytime soon, but this is fun. There gonna be under 200, dare you to try one Steve;D I'll post it at the site soon, gonna go down to the store now and get corey to play a ditty...

Kala has really been stepping it up in their ukes...I was amazed even how the slimline soprano sounded and the volume and nice tone...I have the concert and it is loud and sweet..
I think you may have to buy one from HMS and give it a go.. Kala that is again...

Wel..I'll put Corey or Aaron at the site to show it off but here's a little sample. If you listen real hard, in the background, you can hear a family of dolphins being tortured. No actually the neighbors were running their table saw.

In the world of closer together everything has to get smaller... but, honestly... how is a soprano uke not a travel-size instrument already?? :)

I have wondered the same thing Jake...:D

Jon, you're funny. Thanks for the sopranino b-day gift...I think. lol

Andrew, you sound just like Brozman!

Kilamanjaro, you slay me, brother...funny.

Apropos as I happen to be reading Ernest Hemingway's "The Snows of Sopranino" as we speak.

It is cute, I'll give it that. I see why your daughter is gaga over it.

Kala--please put mini buttons on your geared tuners for this tiny creature.

Finally, a uke where I might be able to do some of the stretches for Corey's version of Emmanuel's "The Mystery". LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzkI4ldxOII

At last, a ukulele that not only fits in the overhead bin, but can be stashed in the seat back pocket next to the puke bag.

I'll bet this uke is a wild bass boomer in low G! Someone has finally figured out a cure for the booming low G string.

Last edited:
I, too, sometimes don't get Travel or Pocket size ukes.
To me, every uke, by natural design, is already a great small size Travel/Pocket instrument.
Even my bari. Any smaller - and I can't play it. :) And that's coming from someone with small hands.

great playing Andrew...you don't need any of those guys to show off your ukes

haha! I can see our numbers plummeting

Andrew, you sound just like Brozman!
Ah, you jerk, you're just as "awful" as me! lol! Now why can't you be nice like brother Daniel? Hey one day we'll get together and make some noise. Whatd'ya say..
(just noticed your avatar, are you about to give me the middle finger?)

To me, every uke, by natural design, is already a great small size Travel/Pocket instrument.
Even my bari. Any smaller - and I can't play it. :) And that's coming from someone with small hands.

are UkeKiddinMe?! sorry, just wanted to say that.
sure, every uke is travel size. guitars too, heck upright bass isn't even that bad

Not trying to steal the thread here, but I got to play a Kala travel soprano at UWC. It was very thin, and surprisingly LOUD!! I couldn't believe it! It sounded awesome. The back was arched. I wonder if that's what made the big difference?

Kala has really been stepping it up in their ukes...I was amazed even how the slimline soprano sounded and the volume and nice tone...I have the concert and it is loud and sweet..
I think you may have to buy one from HMS and give it a go.. Kala that is again...

Haha! I wish I'd said that...Didn't read further in the thread!

This is what I have been telling you guys all the time....they may be Chinese, but Kalas rock!

Top Bottom