Jake Shimabukuro CD selection advice

GeoffLB

Reaction score
New to all things uke. I've looked at Jake Shimabukuro's videos on YouTube and would like to buy a CD or two, but would prefer to start with solo recordings rather than accompanied: some seem to have strings or other orchestral backing and at this stage I'd prefer to avoid.

What would you suggest for just Jake CDs?
Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff.

Love Peace Ukulele
Live
Grand Ukulele
My Life

Start with Love Peace Ukulele.

Strongly suggest his 'Live' CD over both 'Peace Love Ukulele' and 'Grand Ukulele', mainly because of all the off-putting [to me] 'accompanying' as you put it. Not saying that all three CDs don't have great music, but the 'Live' CD is Jake at his pure best.

What I did when I first got into Jake, was to just go to iTunes and sample all the songs in each album and bought the ones I liked. A lot of the early stuff does sound a little dentist musicy, but there's a few gems on each album.

If you want the album with the least amount of syrupy junk, I'd suggest going with "Gently Weeps". Sakura, Grandma's Groove, Star Spangled Banner, Let's Dance, While my blah blah blah (if you can stand to hear it again). Of all his albums, it's the one that demonstrates his virtuosity on the Uke as a solo instrument to the greatest degree.

Alternatively, buy them all and create a mix CD.

Jake's Discography . . .

(1998) Pure Heart
(1999) Pure Heart 2
(1999) Pure Heart 2.5 (Christmas album)

(2000) Colón ~ The Groove Machine

(2002) Sunday Morning
(2003) Crosscurrent
(2004) Walking Down Rainhill
(2005) Dragon
(2006) Gently Weeps
(2007) Hula Girls OST
(2007) My Life
(2009) Live
(2011) Peace Love Ukulele
(2012) Grand Ukulele

Thanks all. I'd a mind to buy the Live album: good to have it confirmed, and I've got an idea of what to follow up with.

I find most of Jake's CDs to be nearly un-listenable, because of the other instruments - I'd rather just hear him on the uke. But that being said - I really like Grand Ukulele, even with the sometimes-heavy orchestral arrangements. The songs Missing Three, Music Box, and Gentlemandolin just might be my favorite things he has done to date.

"Live" just arrived and just what I expected and wanted. Lots of flash and not ukulele playing as I do it after 3 weeks with the instrument! May look at one or two of your other suggestions, but this will do me for now.
Thanks all.
G

I find most of Jake's CDs to be nearly un-listenable, because of the other instruments - I'd rather just hear him on the uke. But that being said - I really like Grand Ukulele, even with the sometimes-heavy orchestral arrangements. The songs Missing Three, Music Box, and Gentlemandolin just might be my favorite things he has done to date.

I agree. Jake's Grand Ukulele being the most heavily "back instrumented", I think. Peace, Love, Uke is my fav.

Brittni's Tell U Why, although lovely, is like she is playing in a jazz group--can hardly hear her uke on some tunes.

Taimane's Ukulele Dance is heavy on uke and subtle on backmusic. As two people that think alike, janeray, if you've not yet heard Taimane's CD, you may want to give it a whirl.

Top Bottom