Funk ukulele?? Is it possible?

fumanshu

Reaction score
Hi guys!!! I just finish a track with my singer and record it and as you can see, there's a funk guitar that I did on the track. Now, I would like to know if I would like to perform this track in live situation and use a uke instead of a guitar, how can I do to get that kind of sound from a uke? For sure I will have to amplify but how do you think?

Anyone here did try to play funk uke?

Comments are welcome too.

Here's the track

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/lady-standby-by-lotus-notes

A chunka-chunka strum pattern and a wah pedal will get you most of the way there. The rest is ATTITUDE! :cool:

It is amazing what sounds you can get from an electric uke by fiddling with the tone and feedback/gain controls on the amp and uke. Steel strings with guitar pickups will sound like a guitar if you have them on the uke, but nylon and piezo can also get some great effects.
Then you can plug in some foot controlled boxes.

I'm sure with a little bit experimentation with controlled boxes, I can get something decent that can come close to that kind of funk guitar sound but with a uke flavor...thanks

I am finding most any style is possible with the uke. It is all in how your strum it.

:agree:

I'm still figuring out the exact chords and strums for this one weerpool, I love it.

I think if you were going to describe a ukulele, you would say that it:

1. Is great when strummed
2. Is good at producing a variety of percussive effects

Given that the vast majority of funk guitar is at least a bit up the neck, it is almost all comfortably in the ukulele's range.

Conclusion:

Ukulele = Born to Funk

I think if you were going to describe a ukulele, you would say that it:

1. Is great when strummed
2. Is good at producing a variety of percussive effects

Given that the vast majority of funk guitar is at least a bit up the neck, it is almost all comfortably in the ukulele's range.

Conclusion:

Ukulele = Born to Funk

Hahhaahahahah!!!!!!!! This is so well said man!!!! Ok, I think I'm convinced that I can do this thing in live with my uke with a wah....... strumming in all manners and making percussive sound with an uke....hummm...I think I can do that!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

woahhhh.....the kamoa electric one sounds really cool!!!! It sounds quite different than my Eleuke...it has a very electric tone almost guitar like....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/lady-standby-by-lotus-notes

This sounds funky to me:

And I love it.

Top Bottom