PDA

View Full Version : Crash course for beginners

Spud1$
06-02-2013, 02:39 AM
I live in a remote area of Florida. I find no other uke players ( I am not really a player yet, but I've been practicing hard for two months ) or uke lessons. On line stuff has been a great help but I would love a person for a bit. Does anyone know of a weekend or some sort of intensive crash course for beginning uke even if it's not Florida, a road trip could be fun! Thanks for any input.:p

ukuLily Mars
06-02-2013, 04:57 AM
I know what you mean. Switzerland is a largely 'ukeless country, and the only time I've played with a group of 'ukulele players was when I went to England last fall! Check out the Seasons of the Ukulele contests. It's not the same as having people in the same room, but if you would like to join in it can give you some challenges to keep you going.

If I could go to this I would but it's not in the cards this year:
http://ashokan.org/ukefest/

There are lots of other workshops and festival, including Tampa Bay Ukefest in November, if you can wait that long! Keep an eye on the Gigs & Shows and the Regional Get-Togethers sub forums. I'm sure you will find something that works for you!

7warriorlion
06-02-2013, 05:00 AM
http://www.floridaukulelenetwork.org/Workshop_Concert.html
http://curtsheller.com/ukulele/clubs/USA/FL.php
http://www.ukuleleyes.com/issues/vol10/no1/interview.htm

Raygf
06-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Take a look at Aldrine's lessons (http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/).

AirCanuck
06-02-2013, 05:40 AM
I highly recommend the Ukulele Underground + (UU+) classes. Aldrine is an outstanding teacher and you can pick up some great things from his online classes. I really enjoy his approach to teaching music and get a lot out of it.

KentSantaBarbara
06-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Check out http://tunesinthedunes.com/

I have heard good things about it. Maybe someone here in UU has attended and can give us a first hand review.

KentSantaBarbara
06-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Additionally, i just returned from the Uke Ohana http://ukeohana.com/ on Molokai. Angie and i went. We had never been to something like this before, os we were hesitant, plus the cost was $1000 for the five day workshop. $1000 is a lot of money, but we are in our late 50's and family tragedy earlier this year brought reality home to us to enjoy life and damn the torpedos. So, off to Molokai we go, uke in hand. My overall rating for the trip 10 outta 10. Melany and Duncan, the same folks that put on Tunes in the Dunes, orchestrated the whole event. Thinking back, it has been a long time since i took a vacation where i was able to unplug from the entire world. Not since the mid 1990's when i would go backpacking for a couple of weeks into the back country of the Sierra Nevada. We met at the Molokai hotel and had a play-a-along, music sheets provided, with Lono (professional musician and Molokai local). We played with the ukulele group that meets at the restaurant. We were then taken by van to the ranch for the remainder of our stay. Pu'u O Huku Ranch is beautiful, on the eastern tip of Molokai. Everyday with had workshops and adventures. Lono was our primary instructor/teacher for ukulele and Hawaii culture. An amazing, talented, knowledgable man. Our group was made up of beginner and intermediate level players, all wonderful people. And Lono was available to each of us. A very patient and helpful teacher. The accomodations were a 6 outta 10, not a 5 star resort, but a beautiful ranch with cabins. Then there was the food. I have never had gourmet three times a day, with such variety and all the food was locally grown or raised. Fabulous cooking, a 10 outta 10. And we took excursions to historical sites, with our ukuleles and historical significance from Lono. A really great trip!!!! If Tunes in the Dunes is like Uke Ohana, then it will be a fabulous time to play and meet other ukulele folks and learn the uke. I can't go this year, maybe next for Tunes in the Dunes. But i will also try to be at the next Uke Ohana on Molokai. And if Melany or Duncan read this, Thank you so much for one of the best vacations i have had in a very long time. Mahalo

ukuLily Mars
06-02-2013, 07:43 AM
That sounds like a blast!!! Good for you and Angie for deciding to enjoy life. Sounds like you know how to do it!

Spud1$
06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
I thank each and everyone of you for your suggestions and I intend to check every link out. Perhaps the best thing about this forum is that when I get a little discouraged with my progress and look for help, I always find it right here!!
To KentSantaBarbara, I'm so sorry for your family tragedy. " mmmm Im gonna try with a little help from my friends"

PhilUSAFRet
06-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Greetings fellow Floridian, where in FL to you live on the Gulf Coast? Hope you can join us at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway in Tarpon Springs this November. The Tampa club has many, many open mic's and jams monthly. Awesome club. They operate much of the time out of the "Daily Ukulele", both old and new editions.

Spud1$
06-02-2013, 11:58 AM
I live in Cedar Key, about 3 hours north of Tampa. I would like to come in November however I am not anywhere near good enough to play with others yet. I practice a lot but I must be a slow learner because even when I try the play along simple songs on you tube I still fall behind. Perhaps by November I will have improved some. Thank you

PhilUSAFRet
06-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I live in Cedar Key, about 3 hours north of Tampa. I would like to come in November however I am not anywhere near good enough to play with others yet. I practice a lot but I must be a slow learner because even when I try the play along simple songs on you tube I still fall behind. Perhaps by November I will have improved some. Thank you

No problem Spud. Join the Tampa Bay club anyway. Costs nothing to join! At the Getaway in November, there are many classes for beginners and the jam sessions are broken up for beginners and advanced. Nothing will improve your playing like playing with a group. I guarantee you will feel right at home. They'll notify you when registration will be conducted. See you there Spud. Until then, check out the Citrus County club...a lot closer than Tampa.

http://citruscountyukuleleclub.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/may-2013-meeting/

Spud1$
06-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks I will plan on it now that I understand how it works also thats the book I've been working out of, The Daily Ukulele so that was good news too! Thanks for all the help.

kaizersoza
06-03-2013, 01:29 AM

don't put yourself down spud, the sooner you get to play with other uke players the better, I jointly run a ukulele club in the UK and most beginners say the same thing, then when they actually do decide to turn up at a club night they realise that they could have been coming for months, playing with other ukulele players will be the best move you can make as a beginner, you will learn one hell of a lot of techniques tips and boost your confidence, no one likes playing in front of others as a beginner, but after a few weeks you will wonder what all the fuss was about, to be honest it will be the crash course you are looking for except you will be able to learn in your own time and not pressured into trying to take in everything in a weekend, if you can't find a uke club that is close to you start your own I did after playing for only a few months, I put a post up on UU and got together with another UU member and we haven't looked back, we have over 100 members, a lot of them are beginners as well

Spud1$
06-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Well thanks to this thread I found one only 1 1/2 hours away so I am going to give it a try on June 15. I did put up a post under uke groups about a month ago but with no response. I feel happy that I found one and I really do get a lot of support from this forum. Thanks again!!

PhilUSAFRet
06-03-2013, 01:22 PM
That's what we're here for Spud

slowpoke
06-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey Spud. I'm "in the same boat" as you! Very slow beginner here, further north on the coast, been playing about 2 months. Phil mentioned the Tampa get together in my introductory message and even though it'll be about an 8 hour drive for me I've already given serious thought to attending. Maybe I'll see you there and we can compare "slowness". We beginners need to be patient with ourselves, huh?

bobO G
06-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Well Thanks to this thread I found a club only 53 minutes away at crystal river, awesome a big Mahalo .

Spud1$
06-05-2013, 02:02 AM
That's the one I'm going to try as well, maybe we are close in area! We might meet there and if we do live in the same vicinity we can consider our own group, also to slowpoke you may be a little north of us and then we would have three. I am very excited to go to crystal river on the 15th! The only trouble with starting our own group closer to home is that we will need those experienced players to help us along!

PhilUSAFRet
06-05-2013, 02:40 AM
That's the one I'm going to try as well, maybe we are close in area! We might meet there and if we do live in the same vicinity we can consider our own group, also to slowpoke you may be a little north of us and then we would have three. I am very excited to go to crystal river on the 15th! The only trouble with starting our own group closer to home is that we will need those experienced players to help us along!

orrrrrr, you can go to some of the other meetups, and bring back and share what you learn to your own new group. Check out E-Media Ukulele Method and other DVD's. Learn it all together. May be an experienced guitar player or two in your area that are interested in ukes. They can be your "advanced" beginners.

Spud1$
06-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah we could get together and practice in between the groups!

slowpoke
06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey spud and bobo g - i'm gonna figure out exactly how far cedar key, ocala, and crystal river are from panama city. Methinks ocala is between 4 and 5 hours of driving for me. I think it could be fun to occasionally get together with fellow ukers. I totally agree with the folks who have said playing with others is a great learning experience.

Spud1$
06-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Hey slow poke I think your about 4 1/2 hours from CK at least that's about how long it takes me! It's about an hour from CK to Ocala or CR and I'd be happy to host a group here. I've signed up for the CR group and I'm going to try it on the 15th. I'm excited about it. They sent me an email and it said that they are mostly beginners also. Hope to see you there.

bobO G
06-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Well guys 5 hrs might be a bit much for me ( eyes not so good in the dark ) but I go to the beach ( fort island gulf beach ) where the CR meets the gulf all the time .Spud you can't miss me I'll be the big ugly mug in the yellow Hawaiian shirt carrying a Lanikai tenor. I'm also a total noob and I've been told playing with others is the best way to step up your game . Lets see what we can do I'm game if you guys are .:cool: Update just printed out the music for june meeting and so the practice begins ,' This land is our land' is one I've been working on already . They all look pretty easy .

Spud1$
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I just did the same, good luck and hope you make it. 5 hours is a long way :(

slowpoke
06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
An hour or two of driving would not be too bad but five hours is a long drive. I think I'm going to have to look for something closer to home.

Spud1$
06-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Good luck to you!!