Mahana and Alohi Strings.

Howie1947

Reaction score
Bought 1 of each from Hawaii Music Supply last week, don't now much about them. Thought I would give them a try. Any thoughts?

Bought 1 of each from Hawaii Music Supply last week, don't now much about them. Thought I would give them a try. Any thoughts?

Which uke are thinking about putting them on?

I hadn't really thought about that, maybe one of my Martin ukes. or possibly on the KoAloha superconcert. Any restrictions?

I hadn't really thought about that, maybe one of my Martin ukes. or possibly on the KoAloha superconcert. Any restrictions?

Well the Alohi and Mahana are a little thicker than Worths and others, and may raise the action at the nut and not fit in some bridge slots. Probably easier to try on ukes with tie bridges. I believe the Alohi may be slightly higher tenion. I like the Alohi more than Mahana, in general.

I've used the Alohi strings but not the Mahanas. I really liked them on my Kanilea concert. They're very thick strings but they feel nice. They seem somewhat similar to D'Addario T2 strings if you try them. The only "issue" that I had with them were they were pretty sensitive to humidity changes, but I think that's common with most nylon strings.

The Alohi's are actually T2s (Andrew clarified on that) and there are a number of comments on them. The Mahana's on the other hand are nylon strings and a bit mellower in sound and tone IMO . . . All I can say is try them, your ears should be the deciding factor.

I've had good luck with the Alohi strings on a KoAloha and on a mahogany uke. I've also got Mahana strings on my mango soprano and they are pretty good on it - which leads me to believe they would probably be kind of dull on most other ukes.

John

I love Ko'olau strings and was hoping to learn more about them and the difference between Alohi and Mahana. I thought there was a third kind, maybe just gold?

The Alohi's are actually T2s (Andrew clarified on that) and there are a number of comments on them. The Mahana's on the other hand are nylon strings and a bit mellower in sound and tone IMO . . . All I can say is try them, your ears should be the deciding factor.
What do you mean T2s? Second question, if Mahana's are nylon, what are Alohi made from or out of?

I love Ko'olau strings and was hoping to learn more about them and the difference between Alohi and Mahana. I thought there was a third kind, maybe just gold?
Ko'olau Aho - Fluorocarbon Strings . ( 5 options )
All Plain High G option , slightly higher tension , very mid-range sound .
May be D'Addario's with slightly different gauge

Top Bottom