Binding/purfling channels

blues

Reaction score
I am building a maple birdseye ukulele with great figure that I am in love with. I had planned for a BWB purfling with ebony binding. Ebony is bent and I went on and cut the binding channel. Is it possible not to screw things up if you cut the purfling channel last? I used the new Stew Mac jig which is really nice except for body supports and adjustments on the sled that are suboptimal.

Should I start fitting the binding and forget the purfling or try cutting the purfling channel? Experience is a great teacher, but can be a bit harsh and humbling.

I, too, use the StewMac rig. If you bought the stack of bearings and their cutter there should be two bearings for two widths of b/w/b, .045" and .060". I always cut the binding channels and then the purfling channels. The bearing for purflings should run on the sides, not in the binding channel. I make a nonadjustable sled for every body shape I use.

I also made a sample stick with a binding rabbet and a couple inches of each purfling bearing. Rather than measure anything, I try the purfling in all the rabbets until I find the one that fits.

Top Bottom