New old uke day

Bob-in-Alberta

Reaction score
I've just had one of my coworkers give me an old ukulele that has been in his family since 1970. It's not a great instrument but it's kind of neat anyway. It's a Canora uke that was used in the Canadian school system and it has the traditional Canadian tuning of A D F# B. This one still has the original strings on it and has tuned up quite nicely but I'll probably give it a new set of strings anyway. According to a internet search that I did, the brand was named Canora because when it was first being imported from Japan the distributor had the option of naming it whatever they wanted. The salesman that had reached the arrangement with the factory was originally from Canora Saskatchewan so they named the product after his hometown. I also have the original E.Z Method book that came with it with a very important tip in regards to strumming: Remember, absolute flexibility of the wrist is essential, the arm should not move promiscuosly. There is nothing worse than a promiscuos strumming arm! I'm keeping it in the original tuning because I think that it adds to the charm.
Canora ukulele 001.jpg

That is awesome! I love the bit about promiscuous strumming lol.

I'm new to ukuleles, but I don't think I have seen another one with things so obviously screwed on.

Thanks for sharing!

Katy

Love those instructions!

I have the same instruction book, picked it up in Geneseo, NY a few years ago for its original selling price - 50 cents. Will have to follow this advice to the letter - apparently I have been strumming promiscuously these many years LOL.

Top Bottom