Question about Risa Solid Uke build quality

coelacanth

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some insight on the Risa Solid Uke. I got the concert one recently from Ukulele PuaPua, and it is invaluable for late night practice in my small apartment.

Overall fit and finish were good with low action (not sure if PuaPua guys do setup) but the tuners came a bit loose (didn't hold position) so I had to tighten the top screws. No big deal I guess. A bit of a bummer was that the edge around where tuner housing is sitting has a rather rough finish and c-string tuner's hole isn't even perfectly smooth circle. It almost looks like someone enlarged the hole to put the hardware afterwards. Also the screw on the c-string tuner was ever so slightly different from other 3. Is this something to be expected from Risa? Or did I get a lemon? I guess I'm spoiled with the quality of other two "normal" ukes I got.

I guess it is mainly a cosmetic blemish but I've read many reviews saying Risa's fit and finish was above other electric ukes out there (and made in Germany and all) so I'm not sure what I was supposed to expect. If you got one, please let me know what you think. I think I can still talk to PuaPua guys for exchange within the return window, but if this is something to be expected for Risa, probably it's not worth the trouble as it's mainly for late night practice though I did expected a tad bit better finish for the price.

xN87+

the hole around 3rd tuner has the worst finish.

1Mxt+

3rd peg came with mismatched screw.

Last edited:
That's definitely not within the standard of Risa's build quality, you should ask for an exchange.

I think you should definitely try and exchange it, my Risa doesn't look like that. I took a few photos for you to compare:

IMG_0117_zpsc152cbee.jpg

IMG_0118_zps360e02e2.jpg

IMG_0120_zps959ae6da.jpg

I received Risa solid tenor model recently from Ukulele PauPau as well. The bores on the tuners and the tuner screws all look fine to me. However, the "a" string would slip some even with the tuner screw tightened up. The "c" string would not intonate as well. It was very flat up the neck. I emailed Rigk (with Risa) about the strings and he said he now uses D'Addario Nyltech Concert EJ88C strings on all his solid uke models. I wanted a low G set anyway so I ordered a LL-NW Light Gauge Linear set of strings from Southcoast Ukulele and they work great.

-Don

However, the "a" string would slip some even with the tuner screw tightened up. The "c" string would not intonate as well. It was very flat up the neck.
-Don

Now those are problems I'd be returning a uke for. The others are minor cosmetic flaws in my book. I might be concerned if it was a $1K+ uke but not on a $300 one. You need to be satisfied though.

Now those are problems I'd be returning a uke for. The others are minor cosmetic flaws in my book. I might be concerned if it was a $1K+ uke but not on a $300 one. You need to be satisfied though.

Agreed. I probably should have sent it back with the slipping tuner, but I don't have any problem with the Southcoast string set. I also don't have the intonation problem with the "c" string with these strings either. It must have either been a bad string or that gauge didn't work well with this uke.

-Don

Edit: I just checked the tightness of the screws on my tuners and I was able to tighten them all a bit without them being hard to turn. It may have been operator error in that I didn't tighten the screws enough with the higher tension strings.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some insight on the Risa Solid Uke. I got the concert one recently from Ukulele PuaPua, and it is invaluable for late night practice in my small apartment.

Overall fit and finish were good with low action (not sure if PuaPua guys do setup) but the tuners came a bit loose (didn't hold position) so I had to tighten the top screws. No big deal I guess. A bit of a bummer was that the edge around where tuner housing is sitting has a rather rough finish and c-string tuner's hole isn't even perfectly smooth circle. It almost looks like someone enlarged the hole to put the hardware afterwards. Also the screw on the c-string tuner was ever so slightly different from other 3. Is this something to be expected from Risa? Or did I get a lemon? I guess I'm spoiled with the quality of other two "normal" ukes I got.

I guess it is mainly a cosmetic blemish but I've read many reviews saying Risa's fit and finish was above other electric ukes out there (and made in Germany and all) so I'm not sure what I was supposed to expect. If you got one, please let me know what you think. I think I can still talk to PuaPua guys for exchange within the return window, but if this is something to be expected for Risa, probably it's not worth the trouble as it's mainly for late night practice though I did expected a tad bit better finish for the price.

xN87+

the hole around 3rd tuner has the worst finish.

1Mxt+

3rd peg came with mismatched screw.

Hard to tell with that camera angle...but it looks like the same screw, just the molded knobs need shaving down of the mold flashing to set the screw down more well...3o seconds to do..

Last edited:
Thanks guys for great inputs.

I guess I waited a few days to see if I'm ok with the whole thing. Slipping tuner, rough edges, the screw (mm stan, yes that's what i thought as well, but it seems they indeed are slightly different). Each isn't too much of a big deal, and we are not talking about over $1k piece of art, but all together, I must admit a bit of unsettling feeling is still here.

Since it's brand new, I've sent Pua Pua guys an email asking if they can get it exchanged. Seems like they are reputable reseller so I'll see what they say. Regardless of the outcome, I'll try different strings soon.

Thanks again guys for great insights. I posted this late night in PDT, and was hoping for one or two replies when I woke up. You guys are great!

Last edited:
I had to tighten the tension screws on my Risa and I have found the default strings have taken a lot longer normal to settle. They do seem to be finally settling and having got them settled, I'm not too inclined to change them just yet.

It looks like someone did some work on that instrument. Perhaps Risa or the seller had to fix something before sending it out. It doesn't look like new, but the work doesn't seem bad either. If you bought it new and it bothers you, get it replaced. (I'd live with it.)

I've owned.... 7 Risa electrics... 4 of them were sticks (old soprano with friction tuners, concert, soprano, tenor), and the others were the steel string types.

I never noticed such finish issues, but even if they were present, I don't think I would have really noticed or cared.
It's a fantastic instrument. You tune it up, it sounds great through amplifier and it's built very solidly.
I have high expectations of the Risa company, but not to the point of absolute perfection. You can only expect so much from a production level, affordable instrument.
None of the issues stated would prevent someone from performing professionally with it on stage and for recordings.

I too experienced the occasionally string "slippage". I think it's more to do with how the strings sometimes get a bit "stuck" to the metal parts that it coils around. It appears Risa have fixed that by changing the brand of strings to one that doesn't stick as much.

For around the same price point, I've experienced far more terrible quality *cough* Eleuke *cough*.

Last edited:
So far I heard nothing from the Pua Pua guys, but I guess I'll live with it if nothing happens. It's not a good feeling, but I still need a silent uke for my apartment life.

Small blems in something made from wood are not unexpected. I got my Risas used, but I'm pretty sure the biggest "flaw" on mine was there when it left the factory (splinters missing around the tuners, below). I'm a big Risa fan. My concert and tenor go with me nearly everywhere. The soprano stick is one of the few ukes that I regret not keeping. :D

Looks like I'll just learn to live with it, and I do love the Risa for what it is. Still haven't heard from the seller at all so that's a bit of a bummer, but I guess they are too busy... Thanks guys for your inputs.

My view is different from the majority of the posters here.

300$ is a lot of money for a wood made stick. If the blem doesn't bother you, you should keep it. If it does, you should return it.

Keep in mind that it will affect resale value and/or it will be more difficult to sell. Why pay full price for a - what should be - factory second product?

Last edited:
Obviously you bought from a different seller, but if you don't hear back from the seller, maybe you could try asking for some advice from Rigk Sauer from https://www.ukulele.de/ . The email address is: info@ukulele.de and I found him to be really helpful when I asked questions before buying from them.

As far as I know, they manufacture the RISA ukes there.

A quick update and to give credit to where it's due. PuaPua rep got back to me and offered a replacement. He assured me that he'll personally select the best one for the replacement for me. Of course it's not really over yet, but I think we are looking at a happy ending soon. I think the replacement Risa will remain in my lineup of ukes indefinitely as I really love it.

Top Bottom