Should I get it?

pakiboy949

Reaction score
There's this tenor Kala KAASMT solid mahogany ukulele selling at the local music shop for $300. I WANT to get it, but am I being ripped off?

It's the one in front

Last edited:
i think its an ok deal get it

thats not a bad deal. but for just $100 more you can get a pono solid mahogany with a high gloss finish. might seem like a lot more to pay, but i would take any pono over any kala any day. kala is a great value, but that $300 you wanna spend on it is sooooo close to a much better uke IMO.

thats not a bad deal. but for just $100 more you can get a pono solid mahogany with a high gloss finish. might seem like a lot more to pay, but i would take any pono over any kala any day. kala is a great value, but that $300 you wanna spend on it is sooooo close to a much better uke IMO.
I agree. the extra 85 dollars roughly for a Pono PT is worth it.

i'd wait and go for the pono, man nuke u buy a lot of ukes, ur like a real avid ukulele collector. I only have a few ukes that i use and my girlfriend gets mad at me for buyin just 2 ukes....:mad:

I tried a concert version of that Kala solid mahogany uke last month in Oahu and it was seriously one of the worse sounding ukes I've ever played. I looked at it wondering what was wrong with it. Maybe I just played a super-dud, but make sure you like the sound before getting one of those. All of the Kala ukes I tried with a solid spruce top sounded pretty good to me, so it's not like I have something against Kala.

For $300-ish, I would go for a Koa Pili Koko tenor or something.

hold off

I'll just chime in here with my two cents to say don't get it. Not that it's a bad uke, but with $300 you could do better. I have one of the spruce top kala tenors myself, and I like it OK, but I also tried playing the mohagany one when I was shopping and didn't really like it that much.

i just wanna say +1 to the koa pili koko. ive seen it on youtube and it sounds really nice too. only thing i dont like is the shape of the headstock. but im superficial like that.

It seems nice, but i need to actually see, play, and feel the uke that i'm planning on buying for the amount i'm spending (It's like you guys said about preference). Anybody know any good music shops near Irvine (So Cal/Orange County) area?

The place I went to didn't have much of a selection, and now you guys convinced me that I can do better with that kind of money instead of the kala.

i would wait for the estra 85 as well.. But i do that with everything, even pens.. its only a few more dollars or even cents... and you just buy it because they are better.

same sort of thing in this case, kalas are alright.. if i get a kala it will be a soprano or a concert.

It seems nice, but i need to actually see, play, and feel the uke that i'm planning on buying for the amount i'm spending (It's like you guys said about preference). Anybody know any good music shops near Irvine (So Cal/Orange County) area?

The place I went to didn't have much of a selection, and now you guys convinced me that I can do better with that kind of money instead of the kala.
it might be a little bit of a drive, but if you must see, hear, and play your instrument before buying, there are a couple here in san diego that you might want to check out.

giacoletti music center
505 carlsbad village dr
these guys seem to carry mostly the budget ukes from $500 and less. so it might be more your style to check out what theyve got there. i havent checked them out yet though so i cant say how much of a selection they have. but theyre closer to you.

blue guitar
5959 mission gorge rd
these guys seem to carry the higher end stuff. like $1000 and up. but you never know. you may find the ONE. and believe me, when you find the ONE, you'll find a way to get her. this is why im scared to walk into that store. haha

Top Bottom