WTB: Harmony Baritone Friction Peg

D

dhoenisch

Does anyone have an old Harmony Baritone friction peg or pegs laying around? I was working on my mom's baritone, and the screw on one of them was rusted so well that it welded itself in the shaft, and nothing I do seems to be removing what is left in the shaft. I just need one peg, but will take what I can get as she want's the uke left original.

DSCN0197_zpsc6b9c910.jpg

DSCN0199_zpsd83bb038.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• 180U-1567_headstock-back.jpg
    180U-1567_headstock-back.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That happened to mine too....hard to find the exact tuners...mine the screw head snapped off and I tried everything..and even soaked it in penetrating oil and when I tried again the screw snapped again this time at the head of the shaft...useless now and no way to get it out....good luck......as they are all slightly different...last week there was a set on ebay
and it went for 21.50....it would be better if you took a side angle picture so we sould see the bead and the shaft too...it it is square or shaved on both sides...also the shaft itself with the
stopping bead...so many different styles through the years... maybe get a set of pings.....Good Luck

And a side picture like this..

Last edited:
Stan, just curious, did you try heating the shaft? I've done this when working on stuck bolts on cars. in theory , the shaft will expand more than the screw, and it might be enough to break things free. doesn't always work though.

Thanks. I actually meant to get a picture of it, but forgot, and wanted to post it before I forgot to do so. I also tried the penetrating oil and heat on mine, and nothing. I will try to get a picture of the tuner in question tonight.

Dan

This isn't that easy to do but I've done other repairs like this:
- clamp the peg in a vise or something to work on it.
- Saw or file off any screw that is still protruding from the peg so it's flush to the peg (if it broke off a little inside that's perfect).
- use a sharp drill bit of the correct size (slightly smaller than the hole) to drill through the middle of the frozen screw. You have to drill a little deeper than the depth of the replacement screw.
- Use a tap of the same size as your replacement screw and gradually ream out the new threads. There's a wiki on how to do it here and lots of videos on the web: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Tap

Taps are pretty cheap at the hardware store. This may be worth a try if the friction peg is useless as it is. Good luck guys! - Mary

Marymac: I keep forgetting to thank you for your advice (because when I go on the marketplace, I get sidetracked with what others are selling). I ended up taking your advice and purchased a tap and die set (which I wanted anyhow) to repair this broken tuning peg. It worked very well, and my mom now has her baritone uke. Thank you so much.

Moderators, you can close this thread.

Dan

Dan, congrats on your successful fix. I've also had good luck using "Left-handed drill bits" The twist on them is reversed, so you use your drill motor in reverse. With some luck, the bit 'catches' and the broken off part will un screw itself out.. Buy a few extra as I've broken a few.

Top Bottom