side sound hole

afreiki

Reaction score
I see a lot of ukes on here with an additional sound hole on the side. What does this do?

Anne

The point is to direct sound up at the player. Some say it negatively affects the overall tone but a lot of the "big name" builders are doing them so they can't be all that bad. I will be looking to get one in my next uke.

My CR has one. It helps when you're playing with a lot of ambient noise or in a large group setting to hear your own uke. Rick Turner said he was going to build a tone monster (he did :) ), and it came with a side port. Who's going to argue?

thanks

I love that I can get so many answers on this site. I usually don't even have to ask the question myself, just look around. Thanks for the info!
Anne

I see a lot of ukes on here with an additional sound hole on the side. What does this do?

Anne

I've made four sound holes on my ukes with varying effects. Overall positive but in one instance, a KPK soprano, it had a lessening effect on the lower register. In the case of a Martin S1 I bought cheaply from Musicians' Friend that had damage exactly where a sound hole could be placed I made a sound hole and the sound hole had a wonderful effect on the overall tone of the ukulele. That S1 is as constant a player as my beloved Brükos and has a balanced sound with projection directed at me as well as the audience.

I have several instruments now with side sound ports, and I'm a fan. I genuinely do believe it enhances the player's experience.

Top Bottom