Magnolia Soprano

Michael Smith

Reaction score
I picked up a magnolia trunk a couple years ago and finally made something out of it. I cut my sides and back as soon as I got the trunk home. It dried strait and responded well to green cutting into thin parts. The wood is close pored and bent easily and required little filling. The trunk had a dark core. The wood is a little denser than soft maple and was a pleasure to work with. Seemed to have good crossgrain strength and not to be prone to splitting or splintering.sop_endgraft.jpgsop_back.jpgsop_inlay.jpgsop_1.jpg

I'm not terribly fond of the "skunk stripe" look that many luthiers use with the sapwood. However, I really like the reverse of the dark through the middle on this one. Just a gorgeous uke. Thanks for showing it off.

(note to self: find a luthier to use the wood if I ever take down the huge magnolia behind my house) :D

Beautiful piece of work and love the inlay. There was a line in a song that spoke of "Magnolia memories". They are in bloom here right now and it is just wonderful to bury your face in a dinnerplate magnolia.. I'll have to keep an eye out for magnolia wood.

Nice inlay....you must be feeling cocky har har har
Really looks sweet

Thanks guys. Sound wise I can't tell much difference from a walnut soprano I built at the same time but then I ran power tools much of my life and didn't use proper ear protection. My daughter hears things I don't.

Top Bottom