• Islander

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other - Please Specify Below

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

WinsWaldo

Reaction score
Pono, Mainland, Kala, and Ohana

Out of these brands I've heard that Pono truly has the best build quality at the price point. If it was up to you, would you go for Pono over all the other options? I've played them all, and I'm just curious on others opinions. I realize at the $300-500 price point Kala goes for bling, Pono goes for simplicity to keep costs lower, Mainland has a fair mix.

Mainland works for me. (but I may be biased by a recent purchase.)

I really don't think I would put all of these brands in the same category.
Pono, IMHO, is a step above in price and quality, compared to the others mentioned in the poll.

To me it would be Pono

Pono, IMHO, is a step above in price and quality, compared to the others mentioned in the poll.

I agree with you Doc...the Pono's fit and finish miles ahead of others mentioned above..if you saw one for sure you would understand..

I agree with you Doc...the Pono's fit and finish miles ahead of others mentioned above..if you saw one for sure you would understand..

The price ranges of these Ukuleles are from $200-$400, they are in the same range. In fact there are several models of Kala that are more expensive than the baseline Pono models (MT and AT).

Haven't played an Ohana or Islander, but there are a couple of Kala's on the other side of the bed, they are nice, but can't compare to the Ponos.

I think Islanders are REALLY underrated IMHO, especially the solid woods. The MSS4 that I have has outperformed nearly every other ukulele that I have tried under £400 / $600. It wasn't until I got my first Kiwaya that I found anything that beat it. It is comfortable with a really warm tone, it plays like butter and is really loud. The only thing that lets it down slightly is that the intonation is fractionally worse than that my better ukes.

At one point, having got the Kiwaya and a Kanile'a, I thought about getting rid of it to claw back some money. I am SO glad I didn't sell it. I take it on trips and everywhere I'd be scared to take my more expensive ukes.

I think all those brands you mentioned are really brilliant value for money, but I have played a ukulele (sometimes multiple ukes) from all of them and none comes close to my Islander!

:agree:

Pono Quality, is closer to the "K" Brands!...

:agree:

Pono Quality, is closer to the "K" Brands!...

Does this go for the Pono models under $600, the Pono MT, MC, MS or Pono AT, AC, AS line? These are very fairly priced ukes if they are "closer to the K brands" at only $439 MSRP.

I voted for Pono but not sure if I believe in my answer. I have two Ponos that I bought as 2nds. At those price points, I am incredibly impressed with them. I'm not sure I would buy Pono at or near the msrp prices. I think the 2nds prices are a sweet spot for them. Of the three large scale factory brands, I would go Islander, Kala and Ohana in that order. But I would choose Mainland as a high value mid range uke. Solid wood and you get the feel good customer service of our very own hoosierhiver.

Mainland - on the lower end - is probably the best "bang for the buck"

I've voted other, not having experience in the brands above, but I have an Anuenue Lani III tenor that I am very pleased with. Lovely fit and finish, and to me, sounds really nice.
h

Top Bottom