Wow, Brittni P sure makes this Kamaka sound good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uug6jU75L0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7_r8LDkTGU

so this is evidently her signature model-wonder if they are selling them to others? sure is a knock out in the looks and sound department.

anyone know what type of amplification/pickup is in it?

d

You got to give major props to Andrew at HMS for recording the above videos..

Brittni,Kalei and Taimane play one off custom Kamaka's I never heard of a Kamaka signature model(only Ohta-San and Jake)..unless you have inside info from Casey Kamaka

Last edited:
Sweeeeet! and the uke playing is great too.

i wonder how her uke's specifications differ from Jake's.

i wonder how her uke's specifications differ from Jake's.

Yeah Gillian..looks like all cosmetic..wood,purfling..etc but I think Jake's Kamaka has a slotted headstock...and you never know if braced different to..

Nice looking Kamaka! Can't say I've ever seen one that curly in a store...

I think you can actually order one very similar to that (and put your own name on the fretboard) as a Kamaka special.

I have called them in the past and they were VERY helpful with pricing options for their customs. They break down the cost by option: AAA wood upgrade is $XXX, or abalone rosette would be $XXX, or ebony headplate is $XXX. (Omitting prices here as I'm sure there is a reason that Kamaka doesn't just put them on their site.)

The only sad thing about the Kamaka Special program is that they currently don't take orders for bindings/purfling (and of course, no slotted headstocks for us plebians.) And once you get a uke with binding, you never want to go back to plain ukes. Of course, they seem to make exceptions for people who are actually good players...takes me out of contention. Haha.

I think you can actually order one very similar to that (and put your own name on the fretboard) as a Kamaka special.

I have called them in the past and they were VERY helpful with pricing options for their customs. They break down the cost by option: AAA wood upgrade is $XXX, or abalone rosette would be $XXX, or ebony headplate is $XXX. (Omitting prices here as I'm sure there is a reason that Kamaka doesn't just put them on their site.)

The only sad thing about the Kamaka Special program is that they currently don't take orders for bindings/purfling (and of course, no slotted headstocks for us plebians.) And once you get a uke with binding, you never want to go back to plain ukes. Of course, they seem to make exceptions for people who are actually good players...takes me out of contention. Haha.

I have a Kamaka HF3 Special,I worked with Tekla at Kamaka on it,,,, it has all you can get on it(as you listed above) as they do not take custom orders..

My Hf3S looks nothing like Brittni's Custom Kamaka(nothing is similar)..not even close...Lol
and I am pretty sure Casey braces their Custom ukes differently..

Last edited:
Is that recorded at mmStan's house?

That's what I visualize Stan's house looking like:)

Is that recorded at mmStan's house?

That's what I visualize Stan's house looking like:)

it is at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) but Stan problable has more ukes...haha

I think this is Andrews nicest best sounding video yet?

Last edited:
I have a Kamaka HF3 Special,I worked with Tekla at Kamaka on it,,,, it has all you can get on it(as you listed above) as they do not take custom orders..

My Hf3S looks nothing like Brittni's Custom Kamaka(nothing is similar)..not even close...Lol
and I am pretty sure Casey braces their Custom ukes differently..

Ah yes; I misspoke; I meant to say pricing on their *specials.* But I don't know, aside from the binding and purfling, I don't see any options that the person on the phone didn't mention...well and perhaps the different bracing.

anyone know what type of amplification/pickup is in it?

d

I think it's an LR Baggs, if I remember correctly. I ran it into the LR Baggs amp called the Acoustic Reference Monitor and mixed the DI out along with a stereo condensor mic on one side for crystal highs and a ribbon mic on the other side for warmth and body. On my way back home I didn't put the ribbon mic back in it's case and it never worked after. I always read they were sensitive and break easy but I'm optimistic like a dog.

There's a lot that is factored into the sound of a recording. The most important being the the feel and technique of the player, next being the quality of the instrument. Brittni is so smooth and that Kamaka, even though only one day old was so rich. Casey gave it a final setup a few days after. Congrats to Brittni for the recent awards on her last album, tell u what. Go buy, support!

I think it's an LR Baggs, if I remember correctly. I ran it into the LR Baggs amp called the Acoustic Reference Monitor and mixed the DI out along with a stereo condensor mic on one side for crystal highs and a ribbon mic on the other side for warmth and body. On my way back home I didn't put the ribbon mic back in it's case and it never worked after. I always read they were sensitive and break easy but I'm optimistic like a dog.

There's a lot that is factored into the sound of a recording. The most important being the the feel and technique of the player, next being the quality of the instrument. Brittni is so smooth and that Kamaka, even though only one day old was so rich. Casey gave it a final setup a few days after. Congrats to Brittni for the recent awards on her last album, tell u what. Go buy, support!

Ouch. Bummer on that ribbon mic. But put that Kamaka on a Tonerite for 3 days and I bet it would do wonders.

Ouch. Bummer on that ribbon mic. But put that Kamaka on a Tonerite for 3 days and I bet it would do wonders.

the video of Brittni was filmed about 2 months ago..and she plays her Kamaka a lot(I would guess everyday..)..I think she might of opened up the uke by herself already...haha

Top Bottom