Wide String Spacing on Super Concert Build

scdano

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm relatively new to uke building, so I thought I'd try to get some feedback here. At this point I'd classify myself as a hobbyist level builder, so here goes- I'm on #8, a sapele super concert and I've decided to try a bit wider string spacing at the nut. My previous builds have all had 1 1/8" string spacing at the nut, as have my Big Island, Kamoa and Kamaka tenors. I've always felt there was something special about my '50s Martin Style 0 soprano and after measuring I realized it has 1 1/4" string spacing at the nut with a nut width of 1.5".

So, that's the spacing I'm going with. My neck and fretboard are built to this spacing and I'll set it up tonight as soon as I finish my saddle. String spacing at the saddle is 1 3/4". Any thoughts on this wider than normal string spacing would be appreciated. I can always make a new nut to bring it back to 1 1/8" if needed.

I'm looking for more accurate first position chording and more room for fingerstyle playing. Thanks in advance for any comments, for or against.

Last edited:
If it's for you, then make it to suit yourself.

The nut is wider than any that I've ever built but the string spacing at the saddle isn't too far off and I think it's far less noticeable there than up at the nut.

1 3/8 at nut...

I recently built a banjolele with a 1.375 inch string spacing at the nut. It's quickly become a favorite. My son who is a bass player seems to gravitate to it as the spacing is similar to the basses that he plays. I also think its a easy spacing for beginners because the extra space is forgiving to the fretting hand. Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You might not like it... So you get to build another!

All done and I must say it plays great. Plenty roomy for my large fingers and
sounds really nice too. This is also my first with a carbon fiber truss rod. Anyhow,
I'll probably build the next couple to the same specs, as I'm very pleased with the
way this one turned out.
photo-14.jpg

Top Bottom