Anyone play cajon?

This doesn't really go under uke talk, but the UU doesn't really have a percussion section! :D

My roommate just got a cajon and I was fiddling around with it. I just wanted to see how many of you guys use one in your music and how you use it. Thanks!

i wanted to get one of those. usually u tap different parts of the cajon to get different sounds, if u want the snare u tap the middle, if u want a snap or clap u tap the edges if u want a tom tom, u place the back of ur foot, i guess the heel in the middle of the cajon and mute the sound a bit and tap the middle.

Yeah I was asking more along the lines of... is it your main percussion instrument, what type of music, etc. Sorry my question was a little vague.

i was looking at them earlier today on ebay...but I doubt I ever get one.

Oh ha yeah it was kinda vague, but yeah if i were to get one, which i really do have my eyes to set on gettin one, i would play some salsa and reggae. And incorporate it with my ukulele playing, and the cool concept i was thinking was while playing jus sit on the thing and switch to it when i want to instead of like changing instruments. u can be ur own one man band.

I just bought one for my buddy last week. It's a whole lot of fun, and very portable for the backyard bbq jam sessions. Cost 100 bucks for the cajon, and around 50 for the gig bag for it, go figure. It's fun to mess with, check out youtube, there are some people there that are awesome at it.

It looks like a box with a hole in it.

dude i remember watching one of aldrines preformance vids on his youtube account and one of his friends is playing da cajon while hes singin and jammin on his guitar

I bought an LP cajon at a percussive arts convention last year and it's tons of fun to play while chillin to music, and it makes great furniture. I'm using it as a 'set' part for a percussion ensemble I teach. So many different tones can be produced from a simple little drum, and yeah the strings are often made from guitar strings to make the snare sound. So far I just dabble in hand drums... Mallet percussion is my main thing, with ukulele gaining speed!

Top Bottom