Tieblock inlays

drumgerry

Reaction score
A question for those of you who use traditional classical-style bridges with tieblocks.

Is an inlay on the tieblock strictly necessary for a ukulele? I don't have long term experience of what happens to a tieblock over the years but is there likely to be much wear on it from the strings if I don't inlay something such as bone?

I can see the logic of them on classical guitars with their greater tension and of course there's the tradition aspect with guitars as well. But for a tenor ukulele?

It's just Indian Rosewood Allen. I could probably cut the slots for the inlay in my table saw but my blade is a bit industrial. I have some nice thin bone and water buffalo horn that would do the job if I could get the slots cut. Btw - I'm using the dimensions you uploaded a while back for a tenor bridge - many thanks!

It's not necessary. I always thought it was just a decoration. There's really no string movement behind the saddle except when you're changing strings so I don't see how the tie block would wear

Top Bottom