Uke Amp - Roland AC33 Opion

brUKEman

Reaction score
Looking to get a small portable amp (battery operated). I had the Roland Microcube but didn't like it at all. I tried the AC33 and it was a good clean acoustic amp which could also run on batteries. Anyone tried it and if so what is your opinion. Just looking for a small amp to play at some family outdoor bbq's.

I use a Roland AC-33 to busk with and its a great amp. I've reviewed the AC-33 on youtube,

Mind you. Its seems expensive for your request unless the money really isn't an issue.

Anthony

Looking to get a small portable amp (battery operated). I had the Roland Microcube but didn't like it at all. I tried the AC33 and it was a good clean acoustic amp which could also run on batteries. Anyone tried it and if so what is your opinion. Just looking for a small amp to play at some family outdoor bbq's.

I've got a VOX mini3 which I really love -- perfect for busking and very small venues. 2 channels, and lots of fun effects for the uke. Not great as far as acoustic goes -- there's no EQ, but it does have a clean setting, and I use a DI box from Behrenger and it works well.

The Mini3 + the Behrenger box will only set you back 130 clams plus shipping. No looper, and not as much power as the Roland, obviously, but I think it would work for a backyard BBQ.

The AC33 looks like a great portable amp. If I had the money to spend, it'd probably be my top pick for portable ukulele amplification. I currently have an AC-60, and think it's fantastic.

The AC33 looks like a great portable amp. If I had the money to spend, it'd probably be my top pick for portable ukulele amplification. I currently have an AC-60, and think it's fantastic.

The AC60 is the standard most acoustic amps are compared to. It's a great one. I have an AC33, and I love it. Now that I'm starting to get into camping, it's an awesome little amp to have just for that purpose. The only thing I don't get--it's stereo. It's really not needed. In fact, no amp really needs to be stereo in my opinion.

Thanks for all the info.
I just checked out the Fishman Mini & it does look nice, but I do definitely want one I can use with batteries so the fishman is out.
So far I'll be sticking with the Roland AC-33 unless anyone has any other suggestions.

You could check out the Fender Passport Mini. I have one, and I like it. Nice and small, but with a strong voice, and can run on batteries.
http://www.fender.com/series/passport/passport-mini/

I got mine for around $150. It can use the Fender Fuse software for customizing the pre-sets.

–Lori

I have an AC-60, which I love and use for gigs, and a battery-powered Cube Street, which I never use (too big for such limited power). The AC-33 is a nice compromise between the two. I wish I had one.

- FiL

I Love my Roland AC 60!!!

The AC 33 looks like a great little unit, if it sounds like a smaller version of the AC 60 you will not be disapointed.

I don't know about the ac33 but I have a bc 330 and it sounds great. You can plug a microphone into with your uke at same time you can plug in your iPod for a back up track I would recommend trying to get this one. it is pretty big so I don't know if you want that but it is a great amp

I love the AC-33 and have played some medium large 60+ people venues with it. The built in kickstand elevates the sound upwards for more coverage. With separate channels for the microphone and instrument, it's easy to get a balanced sound. The anti feed back switch turns on an automatic circuit so you do not have to fool around to stop feedback. There are also separate effects controls for the microphone and instruments channel, so you don't have to share effects for both. Additionally, the AC-33 has separate auxiliary inputs with their own volume control. This allows you to play a CD player or MP3 player for backing tracks or just to play recorded music if you like. There is also a built in 40 second looper, that allows you to build endless tracks of instruments, vocals and sounds. The AC-33 is also engineered to work at full power on rechargeable NiMH batteries, saving both money and the environment. It does all this with only 8 AA NiMH or alkaline batteries. The AC-33 is very powerful at a total of 30 watts (15 watts X 2) and has a stereo or mono output to run a line to a larger P.A. system. This is another great benefit of the AC-33, as you're always in control of your own sound. The sound engineer of the large P.A. system can adjust volume and overall tone, but everything else is controlled by you through your AC-33. I also have two BA-330 systems that I connect together using the Stereo Link feature, that gives me 4 microphone and 4 instrument channels, along with an auxiliary input. I tried the Fender Passport Mini at the Winter NAMM show and was impressed with it's performance, which is similar to my Roland Cube Street's (The Fender is half the cost of the Cube Streets and lighter). I just do not like that it uses C size batteries. There are adapters that will allow you to use AA batteries in it. I may still get a Fender Passport Mini, for traveling. I own a lot of battery powered equipment, as you can read about in this thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

Thanks Ric for your comments from several threads...I just ordered the Roland AC-33 and the dual footpedal and I have a bunch of AA NiMH batteries for my camera flash and also own the Para DI so that seems to be the logical choice for me.

Last edited:
Aloha e Nongdam. Did you also order a stereo tip/ring/sleeve cable for the Boss footswitch? Ric

I don't know what that is but it sounds like I need to buy some more cables. I am looking forward to using the built in looper.

Last edited:
I too bought a Fishman Loudbox mini and it can blow the doors off in a small venue. I was leaning to the AC-33 but batteries were not my #1 factor and the sound on the Fishman was cleaner to me, also plenty of power and a nice set of features. I think the AC-33 would be my choice if I had to have batteries. I have found several folks who have a battery pack they use so they can use their favorite amp anywhere without being tied to getting something that has batteries. Lots of choices.

I used the Fishman for my UkeJam in my office which is about 5000 sq ft, had about 18 folks and kept the volume at 2. I would have blown everyone's ear drums beyond 3. It really cranks out the sound. I might even be inclined to just get a battery pack to plug mine into if I needed portability because the Fishman Loudbox Mini is tops for the price and quality.

Good luck on your decision,

I love the AC-33 and have played some medium large 60+ people venues with it. The built in kickstand elevates the sound upwards for more coverage. With separate channels for the microphone and instrument, it's easy to get a balanced sound. The anti feed back switch turns on an automatic circuit so you do not have to fool around to stop feedback. There are also separate effects controls for the microphone and instruments channel, so you don't have to share effects for both. Additionally, the AC-33 has separate auxiliary inputs with their own volume control. This allows you to play a CD player or MP3 player for backing tracks or just to play recorded music if you like. There is also a built in 40 second looper, that allows you to build endless tracks of instruments, vocals and sounds. The AC-33 is also engineered to work at full power on rechargeable NiMH batteries, saving both money and the environment. It does all this with only 8 AA NiMH or alkaline batteries. The AC-33 is very powerful at a total of 30 watts (15 watts X 2) and has a stereo or mono output to run a line to a larger P.A. system. This is another great benefit of the AC-33, as you're always in control of your own sound. The sound engineer of the large P.A. system can adjust volume and overall tone, but everything else is controlled by you through your AC-33. I also have two BA-330 systems that I connect together using the Stereo Link feature, that gives me 4 microphone and 4 instrument channels, along with an auxiliary input. I tried the Fender Passport Mini at the Winter NAMM show and was impressed with it's performance, which is similar to my Roland Cube Street's (The Fender is half the cost of the Cube Streets and lighter). I just do not like that it uses C size batteries. There are adapters that will allow you to use AA batteries in it. I may still get a Fender Passport Mini, for traveling. I own a lot of battery powered equipment, as you can read about in this thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification
Gee Ric, I am always amazed at the number of amps you have. I was going to wait on the Vox mini 5. I would get the fender Passport Mini but it has C batteries and that would be expensive. Didn't you play one of the Vox Mini 5's at Namm? What did you think of it?

I wonder how hard it would be to hack a PW50 to run on batteries?

Very high capacity C size rechargable batteries are available. NiMH C batteries have a capacity of 5000mAh -- you won't run out of power with these!!!

Very high capacity C size rechargable batteries are available. NiMH C batteries have a capacity of 5000mAh -- you won't run out of power with these!!!

The Roland AC-33 is designed to run off the lower nominal voltage of NiMH batteries. The Fender Passport Mini does not state in the owners manual that is designed for NiMH batteries. Ric

Pass on the Mini5, Jimmy. While it has more features than the DA5, the Fender Passport Mini is more powerful and better sounding. Use C Cell adapters:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ories&psid=YAHOOSHOP01&sid=IDx20070921x00003b

http://www.zbattery.com/Lenmar-C-Cell-Adapter-for-AA-Batteries-4-Pack

http://store.sundancesolar.com/baadaatoc2pa.html

If the Roland AC-33 is within your uncomfortable budget, Jimmy, stretch and get it! Nothing else battery powered (especially by NiMH AA rechargeable batteries) comes close, except the Carvin S400D, which you used to own and is extremely heavier and with limited battery time.

As to the number of amps I own, if you really knew, it would astound you. We do sound and lighting for extremely huge venues. I'll post a photo of one wall of amps in my living room later. I don't have the time to post all of our P.A. and sound reinforcement gear. Ric

Top Bottom