Gstring vs K brands

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello, I've been thinking of putting a deposit on a Gstring tenor but once i put the deposit i cant get it back. So I haven't seen very much Gstrings on here or really anywhere but for the people who have played them how do they compare to the k brands? I've talked to a few people and they said they're very good but i wanted to hear more people's opinions. Would I be better of just getting a K brand or what?

Thanks

Hello, I've been thinking of putting a deposit on a Gstring tenor but once i put the deposit i cant get it back. So I haven't seen very much Gstrings on here or really anywhere but for the people who have played them how do they compare to the k brands? I've talked to a few people and they said they're very good but i wanted to hear more people's opinions. Would I be better of just getting a K brand or what?

Thanks

They are basically the same thing. I've only played one gstring that I thought was worthy of buying of the dozens I have played.

Thanks

I've owned 4 GString ukes, still have 1. 3 of the 4 were really great playing ukes. One had a wonky sounding A string, no matter what strings I put on it.
The concert GString that I currently have might be the best concert I have owned. I sold my last soprano GString only because I have a Moore Bettah soprano and a friend needed a good Hawaiian koa soprano.

If you're talking about commissioning a new GString from Derek, I'm sure it will be great and wouldn't worry. Now they are all made by Derek alone, the older GStrings were higher production with more builders.

Thanks doc j and haolejohn I was hoping it was just Derek making that makes me feel better about them

Good to hear that Derek is still making ukes. I had a Gstring Tenor and thought it was a fine instrument--on par with any of the other K-brand builders (but still different enough tonally).

The only thing that I would watch out for is the finish. I'm not sure if he is still using the same finish, but mine had a lot of finish checking like a vintage guitar. And I've seen similar checking in other gstrings as well.

Good to hear that Derek is still making ukes. I had a Gstring Tenor and thought it was a fine instrument--on par with any of the other K-brand builders (but still different enough tonally).

The only thing that I would watch out for is the finish. I'm not sure if he is still using the same finish, but mine had a lot of finish checking like a vintage guitar. And I've seen similar checking in other gstrings as well.

Ah ok I will thanks. What was the finish and what model tenor was it? And do you know when it was built?

Thanks

You know that I love my G string Sun Concert. I was drawn to the looks when Kent (NC Ukulele Academy) posted it on his Facebook page. Resulted in an impulse buy. Also, I wanted to get a nice uke from Kent because he's always been so welcoming everytime I visit his shop in NC. Was not disappointed in the least. The uke is gorgeous, plays well and sounds great. As I've told you, it compares favorably to my K brands. That being said, also love the K brands. Don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Top Bottom