need pointed to a source for a set of nice slothead tuners

darylcrisp

Reaction score
just received a really nice playing/sounding Kanilea tenor slothead. the tuners "appear" to be grover but no name is stamped on them. they work smooth but have a touch of slop when when tuning.

want to replace them for a nice slothead set-i checked stewmac but found none-where's a good source?

thanks
d

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any slot head tuners that are specifically designed for a ukulele. So it's not as simple as buying new tuners and just installing them. It's going to require a bit of work

The ones you will see builders use are guitar ones that in most cases require the posts modified to fit the narrower headstock. Ie. you need to shorten the post so that they don't interfere with the one on the other side.

Alternately you can use paddle head ones and add a barrel to the sting post.

How about just replacing them with real Grovers? Are the backplates stamped or cast?

Last edited:
How about just replacing them with real Grovers? Are the backplates stamped or cast?

they look stamped to me-no name is on the plate-every Grover i've seen has the name there. this Uke came from Kanilea just recently-awesome tenor-the tuners are okay, they just have more play/slop than i care for.

i've looked but cannot find the real Grover slothead tuners, who would sell them?

thanks
d

they look stamped to me-no name is on the plate-every Grover i've seen has the name there. this Uke came from Kanilea just recently-awesome tenor-the tuners are okay, they just have more play/slop than i care for.

i've looked but cannot find the real Grover slothead tuners, who would sell them?

thanks
d

Here's a past topic that might shed some light on the mystery tuners:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?57988-Koaloha-firsT-now-kanilea-changing-tuners

The full-size Grover slot head tuners are available from Stu-Mac, but they have the cast metal butterbean knobs. I've been changing out the cast knobs for the replacement wood ones that Stu-Mac sells. I've been using the ebony buttons, but I think they also have Koa among the other choices.

Changing the knobs safely does require a bit of work, though.

That's the one Ken. You can sleeve any tuner to convert it to a slotted headstock one. However you seem intent on taking the guitar tuner route. best of luck :)

Top Bottom