Martin Tenor Question

WhenDogsSing

Reaction score
Does anyone know about when Martin tenors went from 12 fret to 14 fret necks? I have a 12 fret Martin tenor that I just put some Seaquar clear fluorocarbon fishing line on and it sure is sweet. I got to wondering when Martin changed them.

According to this, I'm not sure anyone knows:

http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/martin2.html

I have one that was advertised as being made in the '40s, but I'm not sure how true that may be. I also have a 12 fret that I bought from Gryphon that was made in the '40s and they have many of the same appointments so it could be true.

I prefer the tone and feel of my 14 fret personally, but it could just be due to the individual differences.

What strings are you currently using on yours? I have some nyltechs on mine, but I'm not sure that I like them very well. I've tried Worth Clear as well, but I still felt I could do better.

(Edit: Oops just reread your post and saw what strings you're using! :D )

I have both 12 fret and 14fret. The both sound great. I do like the 14 fret a bit more than the 12. They are both great ! A little more uke in your hands playing the 14fret.

Stan, do you know what they are asking for it? Also, I can't find a specific year that Martin started making the 14 Fret Tenor. I'm guessing in the 50s or 60s?

Stan, do you know what they are asking for it? Also, I can't find a specific year that Martin started making the 14 Fret Tenor. I'm guessing in the 50s or 60s?

Not Sure M,
I have no Idea but I know it's not the 60's for sure....HMS just got the martin in yesterday so it's a fresh one in....give Andrew a call if you are intrested...

Does anyone know about when Martin tenors went from 12 fret to 14 fret necks? I have a 12 fret Martin tenor that I just put some Seaquar clear fluorocarbon fishing line on and it sure is sweet. I got to wondering when Martin changed them.

My 14-fret Martin tenor has no "Made in USA" stamp, so it was made before 1962. Based on the information in this thread http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1495238/How-to-date-Martin-T1#reply-1495238 on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, my best guess is that the change was between 1955 and 1961.

The change occurred in mid 1960.

More fretboard space = ukulele love. Twelve frets aren't enough...

Top Bottom