Martin Ukulele Strings

T

tomthebaptist

After spending a "butt load of money" experimenting with strings, I have nailed down that the strings I like best for my three ukuleles (especially my Loprinzi Tenor) are Martin's Soprano/Concert Ukulele strings. The Martin strings are fluorocarbon like many others, but the balance, sound and feel, I really like better than others I've tried.

For What its worth,

TC

Al9ha Tom,
Like you I like Martin Fleurocarbons for some ukes...until the Oasis came along, pretty close to Martins but to me better tone and feel... Alohis for me too is up there...:)

I've used Martins and Worths. I don't know if I really detect any difference. They sound the same to me??

TC, So you put the soprano/concert strings on your tenor uke?

Stan, The Oasis only come in soprano/concert, yes? Do you run them on any of your tenors?

Last edited:
FWIW, I've used them on several instruments with 16" scales, with excellent results.

I've used Martins and Worths. I don't know if I really detect any difference. They sound the same to me??

The Martins and Worths sound similar to me also Howie, but the Worth CD strings seem to be under more tension than the Martins and not as smooth feeling. I like the playing comfort of the Martins more and the sound is about the same.

Bill, you may have a point. I will do a comparison of these strings the next time I do a change and see which feels more comfortable to play.

Thanks folks, I know Martin makes tenor strings - have some on one of mine now - but TC mentioned he was running Martin soprano/concerts on his Loprinzi tenor, at least if I interpreted his thread correctly - and I wasn't aware you could run soprano/concert strings on tenor sized instruments. Can you?

Thanks folks, I know Martin makes tenor strings - have some on one of mine now - but TC mentioned he was running Martin soprano/concerts on his Loprinzi tenor, at least if I interpreted his thread correctly - and I wasn't aware you could run soprano/concert strings on tenor sized instruments. Can you?

Sure you can if they fit. But the tenor set has more string mass to vibrate so the sound may suffer a bit - at least in theory if not in practice. I wonder if I could discern the difference ? Probably not.

I use Martin 600s on every soprano I own. Love em.

You interpreted correctly. I am using Martin's soprano/concert strings on my Loprinzi Tenor. I'm telling you, these are the best all around strings - for sound and comfort that I've played --- haven't played the Oasis strings, but have tried just about every other string out there.... I'm settling on the Martins. In fact, I use the same strings on my soprano and concert.... I like the results.

tc

I like Martins, too. I have them on my KoAloha longneck soprano and Kamaka longneck concert. I wish they made an unwound low-G, though. All the Worth low-Gs I've tried sound dull to me.

Martins and Worths sound very different. Martins are much clearer (better note separation) and louder.

Martins and Worths sound very different. Martins are much clearer (better note separation) and louder.

What he said! :agree: I'd also say they feel slightly softer. They give my sopranos more of a vintage sound than worth clears.

I love the Martins on my sopranos and the one concert I put them on. I actually had to hunt around online to find a tenor set, put them on my Keilii tenor, and was a bit disappointed. Maybe I'll try the soprano/concert set next time.

Top Bottom