PDA

View Full Version : Martin Ukulele Strings

tomthebaptist
06-07-2013, 04:02 PM
After spending a "butt load of money" experimenting with strings, I have nailed down that the strings I like best for my three ukuleles (especially my Loprinzi Tenor) are Martin's Soprano/Concert Ukulele strings. The Martin strings are fluorocarbon like many others, but the balance, sound and feel, I really like better than others I've tried.

For What its worth,

TC

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Congrats on finding your favorite strings, TC! Love those chiming Martin uke strings.

mm stan
06-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Al9ha Tom,
Like you I like Martin Fleurocarbons for some ukes...until the Oasis came along, pretty close to Martins but to me better tone and feel... Alohis for me too is up there...:)

Howie1947
06-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I've used Martins and Worths. I don't know if I really detect any difference. They sound the same to me??

Eyeguy
06-07-2013, 04:52 PM
TC, So you put the soprano/concert strings on your tenor uke?

Stan, The Oasis only come in soprano/concert, yes? Do you run them on any of your tenors?

saltytri
06-07-2013, 04:56 PM
FWIW, I've used them on several instruments with 16" scales, with excellent results.

Bill Mc
06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
TC, So you put the soprano/concert strings on your tenor uke?

Stan, The Oasis only come in soprano/concert, yes? Do you run them on any of your tenors?

Martins are available in tenor size strings.

mm stan
06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Martins are available in tenor size strings.

I have several prototype Oasis tenor strings to try out.....I been sick and will do so soon...first probally will be a richer sounding uke like my Kamaka....Yes they don't sell Oasis tenor strings just yet...sorry

Bill Mc
06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I've used Martins and Worths. I don't know if I really detect any difference. They sound the same to me??

The Martins and Worths sound similar to me also Howie, but the Worth CD strings seem to be under more tension than the Martins and not as smooth feeling. I like the playing comfort of the Martins more and the sound is about the same.

Howie1947
06-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Bill, you may have a point. I will do a comparison of these strings the next time I do a change and see which feels more comfortable to play.

Eyeguy
06-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks folks, I know Martin makes tenor strings - have some on one of mine now - but TC mentioned he was running Martin soprano/concerts on his Loprinzi tenor, at least if I interpreted his thread correctly - and I wasn't aware you could run soprano/concert strings on tenor sized instruments. Can you?

Bill Mc
06-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks folks, I know Martin makes tenor strings - have some on one of mine now - but TC mentioned he was running Martin soprano/concerts on his Loprinzi tenor, at least if I interpreted his thread correctly - and I wasn't aware you could run soprano/concert strings on tenor sized instruments. Can you?

Sure you can if they fit. But the tenor set has more string mass to vibrate so the sound may suffer a bit - at least in theory if not in practice. I wonder if I could discern the difference ? Probably not.

pdxuke
06-07-2013, 06:54 PM
I use Martin 600s on every soprano I own. Love em.

tomthebaptist
06-07-2013, 06:55 PM

You interpreted correctly. I am using Martin's soprano/concert strings on my Loprinzi Tenor. I'm telling you, these are the best all around strings - for sound and comfort that I've played --- haven't played the Oasis strings, but have tried just about every other string out there.... I'm settling on the Martins. In fact, I use the same strings on my soprano and concert.... I like the results.

tc

Gillian
06-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I like Martins, too. I have them on my KoAloha longneck soprano and Kamaka longneck concert. I wish they made an unwound low-G, though. All the Worth low-Gs I've tried sound dull to me.

blue_knight_usa
06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Martins sound the best on my Martin 2M, the only strings I will use on it. They are a fine choice.

equina
06-07-2013, 08:05 PM

Martins and Worths sound very different. Martins are much clearer (better note separation) and louder.

Mattyukaholic
06-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Martins and Worths sound very different. Martins are much clearer (better note separation) and louder.

What he said! :agree: I'd also say they feel slightly softer. They give my sopranos more of a vintage sound than worth clears.

ukuleledaveey
06-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Me to they are my tried and tested favourite strings to, they work so wonderful on my ukes

lakesideglenn
06-08-2013, 01:21 AM
I love the Martins on my sopranos and the one concert I put them on. I actually had to hunt around online to find a tenor set, put them on my Keilii tenor, and was a bit disappointed. Maybe I'll try the soprano/concert set next time.

Boston Bill
06-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I use Martin strings on all of my Martin sopranos and concerts.
I have found that since they are long enough for concerts, that the G and A strings are a little long on the sopranos.
What I do is cut a couple of inches off the G and A strings before I put them on the sopranos, and it makes it tighter, neater, and the strings are less apt to slip.
Please do not blame me if you cut off too much, and waste a string or two.
It is relatively easy to eyeball how much to cut.
Bill

srfarley
06-24-2013, 01:56 AM
I have a tenor solid acacia uke that came with Worth clears. They sounded a little dull, so I replaced them with Martin M620s. Those seemed to improve the sound.

Now I have a new concert solid mahogany, which also came with Worth clears. The Worths sound pretty good, except that the A string doesn't ring out as loudly as the other three when I strum. (I think that may have been a problem with my tenor Worths, too.) So I plan on replacing them with Martin M600s.

I suppose that the lower volume of the A string could be due to my strumming technique. But, I have a couple of other ukes with D'Addario Nyltech strings, and the A string rings out loud and clear when I strum. By the way, those Nyltech strings are fantastic for ukes, laminates or otherwise, where you need a loud, bright, sound. They are similar to Aquila Nylgut strings, but they feel less sloppy to me.

ranilus
06-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Agreed with OP - the Martin M600s are very well balanced, sounds clear and sweet.

I prefer them over Worth/Fremont. These fishing line strings feel/sound a bit plastic-y. The Martins have a bit more organic feel, while the sound has less of a "bite' than the Worth/Fremont, but that's a fair trade off I think..

bnolsen
06-24-2013, 09:43 AM
So I'll nitpick. I like the martins too but I'm not exactly sure about the 'C' string, it seems to be slightly different than the others in how it plays and it is noticeably sharper than the other strings up the neck. Is it just due to the thickness they chose? Would having a slightly thinner 'C' help with this?

tomthebaptist
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes, I use Martin Soprano/Concert strings on my Loprinzi Tenor. I've never tried Martin Tenor Strings (hard to come by). The Martin Strings seem to intonate up the neck better than any other strings that I've tried. My tenor really sings with the Martins. The voice is loud and sweet, soft and sweeter. I have the same strings on my concert with great results. However, on my soprano, I have Worth Browns which I'm happy with.

tc

janeray1940
06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
By the way, those Nyltech strings are fantastic for ukes, laminates or otherwise, where you need a loud, bright, sound. They are similar to Aquila Nylgut strings, but they feel less sloppy to me.

Seconding that! Martin Fluoros were my strings of choice until I discovered the Nyltechs. I have them on both my koa and mahogany ukes and love them!

Lime
06-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Since I have three new ukuleles (okay, to be fair, they're not just for me, they're for my kids, too) I figured I'd order a different brand for each one and I decided one of the brands should be Martins.

So, people: Should the soprano, the concert, or the baritone get the Martins?

bborzell
06-24-2013, 04:45 PM
I'd do the tenor. What, you don't have a tenor? Why not?

Lime
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I'd do the tenor. What, you don't have a tenor? Why not?
Because my third child isn't big enough for a tenor. Everyone will just have to be patient.

ETA, more info. Soprano is a dolphin. Concert is a Kala KA-CG. Baritone is Lanikai LU21B.

Dan Uke
06-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I own a Martin tenor and I've tried 3 strings (Martin, Oasis, Southcoast) and the Martin's were the best for the sound I was looking for. Unfortunately the A string snapped so I switched all the strings after only a few days.

hawaii 50
06-24-2013, 08:29 PM
I own a Martin tenor and I've tried 3 strings (Martin, Oasis, Southcoast) and the Martin's were the best for the sound I was looking for. Unfortunately the A string snapped so I switched all the strings after only a few days.

Hey Daniel..that no problem the Martins are priced correctly...haha

ichadwick
06-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Not a fan of Martin uke strings. Find them too mellow, not enough zip. Much prefer Aquilas.

Dan Uke
06-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Hey Daniel..that no problem the Martins are priced correctly...haha

Len, it's a blessing in disguise as I am warming up to the Oasis strings and I am not in a hurry to take them off. The SC did not work at all with the vintage Martin.

peewee
06-25-2013, 08:37 AM
I own a Martin tenor ....

whaaa? you're bringing it to WUE for show and tell, right?

Oh and I like Martin 600 Strings on my Martin sopranos best too.

600s have a little too much tension on a concert for me, and the tenor and bari strings I am not enamored with.

Dan Uke
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
whaaa? you're bringing it to WUE for show and tell, right?

I bought a pre-1932 Martin tenor and it sounds lovely. Unfortunately, I already bought my Father's Day Gift so I don't have permission from the boss. I'm enjoying it while I can but I'll bring it to WUE...It'll match nicely with your Martin Sops. ;)