Strap one on?

Snapper D

Reaction score
Is there any consensus on whether or not to play with a guitar / ukulele strap? I see most videos have players standing, and not using a strap. And others seated, but no strap.

Or is it just personal taste?

Whatever you feel comfortable with . . .

To expand on Snapper's question, is there a way to rig up a strap (in the event your ukulele doesn't have the little pegs) without damaging the instrument or ruining the sound or beauty (and without having to pay someone to do it for you)?

In other words, a responsible cheapskate's method.

I could use a strap, but I've no money or pegs, and I want to preserve Tomo's beauty.

Last edited:
Straps aren't that common, but there are some that are especially made for ukes that hold onto the edge of the soundhole if you don't want to drill/glue/tape.

This video has a neat homemade strap! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ94DEWhFAg
Definitely cover the hook in something soft and squishy first, though.

velcro bootlace strap

i used adhesive velcro on my fluke , as it is so light it doesnt need much to hold it,
i stuck one side to the uke and doubled the other bit around a boot lace did the same both ends and it works great . so great infact i might do a how to on youtube

My concert has glossy finish and it slips easily. I wish I had thought of buying a strap when I purchased it, but since I didn't, I'm being stubborn. If I break down and buy one, I'd get the one that hooks under the front that haole mentioned. But as I said, I'm being stubborn and am trying to learn to cradle it correctly. Its a slippery little buggar!

i can play my uke without the strap standing, but guitars are too heavy for me to do it, i need the straps.

It is much more comfortable with a strap, at least for me. I always had problems holding the uke which made playing more difficult. A strap solved this.

It is much more comfortable with a strap, at least for me. I always had problems holding the uke which made playing more difficult. A strap solved this.

Do you have a mandolin style, or the acoustic guitar style that snaps onto the soundhole? I'd like to get one for my tenor (due to size and glossy finish) but I hear mixed reviews about the acoustic style straps -- even though that is my preference since I don't want to add strap buttons.

The amp jack on my uke can have a strap on it and it ties around at the headstock. I've only used a strap a few times when I'm out but it really does feel comfortable. But it's not really necessary when I've been sitting down and I've got the strap because I put my uke on my lap anyway. But you might not have an amp input on your uke and you might not want to put strap buttons on, but that's just what I do.

I wanted a strap also, but I am now trying to practice holding the ukulele without the strap.

A simple quick no-muss fix to battle the slippery factor is to cut out a piece of that rubbery stuff they sell to keep dishracks or rugs from slipping. If you get that between the back of the uke and your body- instant no slip.

A uke teacher had a piece of tape holding one of these on, though I would ask the luthiers on the forum what that would do to the finish.

As a side note, does anybody else notice how many questions have answers that fall into the "practice practice practice" category? Not just in uke, but in life!

I very very very much prefer a strap. Otherwise I'll grip too hard with my fingers and they'll cramp... or I'll loose hold of the body during the cool parts of a song.

I use custom straps made by Souldier.us. Awesome awesome company and terrific straps for not a heck of a lot of money.

Do you have a mandolin style, or the acoustic guitar style that snaps onto the soundhole? I'd like to get one for my tenor (due to size and glossy finish) but I hear mixed reviews about the acoustic style straps -- even though that is my preference since I don't want to add strap buttons.

I have a pickup installed and a strap button on the other side so I am able to use a "normal" guitar strap. Never tried anything else.

i used adhesive velcro on my fluke , as it is so light it doesnt need much to hold it,
i stuck one side to the uke and doubled the other bit around a boot lace did the same both ends and it works great . so great infact i might do a how to on youtube

Did you do a video of how you did that? Or could you post pics?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

I don't use a strap and if you do this for a while you'll press your forearm automatically with more pressure to the uke-body.

There a some songs where i change rapidly between super fast fingerpicking and strumming where a strap would make it a lot easier.

Next thing would be the performance question:

If you want to do more than just playing the ukulele on stage, a strap allows you to grab easily other things like another instrument or a mic.

The important thing is only that you play really good and the rest doesn't matte r (uke model, color, your outfit, a strap)

Did someone say Strap On?!

I use regular guitar straps....I even drill a hole right through the body & put a peg in where an electric guitar would have one! Im not sure I would do it to a $1000 uke but in the $200 - $300 range I dont mind.

If you do put it through the body do not use a screw but rather a bolt with a rubber washer/gasket,regular washer than a nut...(so it doesnt rip a hole in the Uke!)

I don't use a strap and if you do this for a while you'll press your forearm automatically with more pressure to the uke-body.

There a some songs where i change rapidly between super fast fingerpicking and strumming where a strap would make it a lot easier.

Next thing would be the performance question:

If you want to do more than just playing the ukulele on stage, a strap allows you to grab easily other things like another instrument or a mic.

The important thing is only that you play really good and the rest doesn't matte r (uke model, color, your outfit, a strap)

This advice would most certainly work for a man, but women can't always hold ukuleles the same as a man does. I always use a strap. It's just that with a Fluke or Flea, you can't install a strap button without voiding the warranty.

Besides, you get more volume from the uke if you hold it a little away from the body. :)

Thanks anyway!

CountryMouse

. It's just that with a Fluke or Flea, you can't install a strap button without voiding the warranty.

CountryMouse

To be honest, I think you're taking "warranty" to the extreme here. I doubt there are any companies out there that would cover you taking a drill to their instrument and messing up, no matter how great their customer service is. However, if you're worried that you cannot do it properly by yourself, take it to any music store, and they should be able to install a button just fine.

It's just that with a Fluke or Flea, you can't install a strap button without voiding the warranty.

I have difficulty believing that adding a strap button, if done correctly, would void their warranty, which is against manufacurer's defects.

I would recommend that you call the company about it. I hear they are really nice folks, and they could probably even give you advice on the proper installation of a strap button for a Fluke or Flea.

Top Bottom