Please Help Me Date a Redhead (uke)

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
I bought a Wendell Hall Redhead soprano ukulele a few months back on eVilBay. Nice one, no cracks, good head. It had only two red wooden friction (true friction, one piece) tuners--so I took those off and added some Koaloha style fiction tuners. Otherwise, it's original, no cracks, nice head logo. Body has arched back, and is made of wood: help me, is that Koa? Mahogany?

The auction listing said this:

Up for bid is a Wendell Hall "Red Head" ukulele. This instrument was made by the Richter Manufacturing Co. of Chicago. (1922-1941) This company sold instruments under different labels; the "Princess" label was used for this ukulele. It is believed to have been made in the 1930-35 era. Wendell Hall was a famous ukulele player in the 1920's and 1930's and made many recordings. He was known as the "Pineapple Picador".

I thought Wendell Hall Redheads were Regal. Or, were different years different brands. Richter, Regal...anyone know?

Many have a Regal label inside; mine has one that says, "Princess" and under it "trade mark" on blue and white label. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Wendell Hall Uke 001.jpgWendell Hall Uke 002.jpgWendell Hall Uke 003.jpgWendell Hall Uke 004.jpgWendell Hall Uke 007.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
funny, jon.

you actually have/had one of these, no? curious, what"s your label say? thanks

I'm strumming her now mate. She shows her age I must confess... alas, no inside label, twisted neck. It does have the original wooden friction pegs and it does have a really nice crack. It sounds a million bucks and it's the one I always pick up. :)

Please let me know if you're ever contemplating sending this one back to ebay mate, I love these ukes. But I know nothing more about them than what you already do - that they were a 1930's model.

:love:

Thank you, Jon.

I certainly will tell you before listing it anywhere.

Yours sounds well used and loved. Too bad we don't live closer or we could play a duet on the 'Heads.

Aloha, mate. Steve

I'm strumming her now mate. She shows her age I must confess... alas, no inside label, twisted neck. It does have the original wooden friction pegs and it does have a really nice crack. It sounds a million bucks and it's the one I always pick up. :)

Please let me know if you're ever contemplating sending this one back to ebay mate, I love these ukes. But I know nothing more about them than what you already do - that they were a 1930's model.

:love:

Guys, redhead sister duet, that's entirely too much teasing for a Friday night...

Regal definitely originated the Wendell Hall Red head ukuleles, in 1924. I don't think they were ever made by Richter. I'm not sure when exactly they stopped making them, but I would guess sometime in the 1930s. However, checking through 1930s catalogs I don't see any - so they may have stopped making them earlier. "Princess" I'm sure was a trade name used by a particular retailer, but I do not know which retailer. Red head ukuleles were mahogany, but it was often a fancy, figured mahogany.

Last edited:
These are amazing responses, just as I'd assume from my knowledgeable peers on UU. Thank you.

Christian,you slay me always. You're the king for the one liners.

I'm shocked that it plays so well, Skinny. I had little for expectations, but this little baby actually is a charmer.

Thanks for checking the catalogues, ukuku. Your explanation makes sense...perhaps the Princess was a store branding for Regal and the original seller on eBay was wrong, it wasn't Richter at all (unless Richter and Regal are the same thing, bought out or something). Thanks for helping me date the Redhead.

Cuban mahogany, I see that, Dismount, now that you say it. It certainly seems different than koa somehow. I think this was an upper end ukulele for Regal, and they used a high end Cuban mahogany. Thanks for that info.

Thom, that Gryphon link is dead on. Yep, the two tuners that I took out look just like those wooden tuners. That's it for sure. Thank you, friend. I have to say, the Gryphon one beats mine in having all four original tuners. But, my Cuban 'hog is much more flaming than Gryphon's. LOL :)

Thanks all!

Top Bottom