I baked some maple

Pondoro

Reaction score
I have a lot of maple scraps because my dad bought the maple floor from a house that was being demolished back in the early 1960's. He built two workbenches and a bunch of other stuff but, being frugal, never threw out any scraps other than the sawdust. I would characterize it as, "well seasoned."

Anyway I put a piece in a cold oven and then turned the oven on to 400 (F). I think that is about 200 C but you Brits can do the math.

Anyway after an hour the maple had turned a nice dark brown. I cut it in half and the color seemed to have gone all through the wood. I sanded one end and left the other rough, but I sanded very carefully so as to not burn the endgrain.

Pictures:

The lighter piece in each picture is the "before" color. I cut a scrap in half and only processed one half.

By the way I was worried about the smell but roasting maple actually smells rather nice. My wife mentioned the smell favorably.

Last edited:
I baked a little scrap of mahogany and it is super rich chocolate brown like an old Martin. I kinda dig it. Now to build with baked mahogany...

I should probably check he other wood baking thread also, but on thinner pieces, perhaps fretboards, does anyone know if there is significant shrinkage?

That is a great question. I have a fretboard of maple. I had planned to bake it but what if it shrinks? It is wide enough as it has not been shaped to the neck yet, but what if it shrinks lengthwise (I have already cut the fret slots)? I guess experiment two is to measure a piece of maple and then bake it.

Restaurants advertise hamburger weight as "!/4 pound before cooking", perhaps scale lengths should carry the same caveat?

That is a great question. I have a fretboard of maple. I had planned to bake it but what if it shrinks? It is wide enough as it has not been shaped to the neck yet, but what if it shrinks lengthwise (I have already cut the fret slots)? I guess experiment two is to measure a piece of maple and then bake it.

Restaurants advertise hamburger weight as "!/4 pound before cooking", perhaps scale lengths should carry the same caveat?

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Doesn't anything shrink as it loses moisture (or delicious burger fat) to heat? I'd expect greater shrinkage with a moister piece? I have some maple lying around, but none thin enough to simulate a fretboard... Maybe I should do a little re-sawing and join in the experiment. I think it's great that so many are firing up their ovens and sharing their results! I think already slotted/sized is a bit of a risk.

All Ukuleles start out as Baritones. What you end up with depends on how long you leave it in the oven.

Last weekend I baked some Ipe and California Pepper tree wood in the oven. I did 3 hours at 450 degrees F. It smelled lousy for about the first hour and then it smelled like chocolate for the last hour. The baked ipe.jpg here are pictures of the ipe right after the baking compared to unbaked ipe. Interestingly the ipe has got even darker in the following days. The Pepperwood on the the other hand was a thin fretboard sized piece and it actually burned through and was very brittle. It also got darker though. The ipe though seems to be just as firm and hard as before.

H&D has finished a couple guitars with baked red spruce. The others raved about the OM, the sloped D was judged to be just a really good sloped D. I thought they both sounded great but I'm not sure the baking really added anything. Funny thing---the rosette rings cut so cleanly that Mark Dalton assumed the baking hardened the top, but after scraping the unfinished top it seemed to me that the baking had turned the red spruce into cedar. It seemed softer than typical red and shredded just like cedar when scraped across the grain. So the jury is still out on what baking really does. But everyone agreed that the finished color was gorgeous, very much like a really old guitar. Sorry to be so guitar oriented. Its just my luck (or not).

Top Bottom